Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in and have fun and play nicely with the rest of us kids.

We cannot do gun appraisals here for the two reasons that we cannot see the gun to inspect and verify its condition, and that the same gun can bring different prices in different parts of the country, so it is easy to be way off. The Internet is beginning to equalize some of that difference, however, so take a look at the gun auction sites if you want to see what others have been paying for the same gun across the country?

The High Standards are good target pistols. I don't find them any more mechanically accurate than the far less expensive Ruger target models, except the trigger and grips they come with are better. You could check what a trigger job on a Ruger costs in your area to better compare what you might get invested in either gun?

I will move your post to the Rimfire Handguns forum where you may get some other opinions?

·
Banned
442 Posts
I have shot a same era High Standard target pistol for many years. I see more of these on the firing line than any other brand. I have won more matches with these than any of my other match pistols.

·
Banned
502 Posts
I like the older Hi Standards, from the 50s and 60s, they hold their own on the range, the newer ones can be a hit or miss (yes that is a pun) for accuracy. Plus didn't try to bring back Hi Standard and their pistols?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
H-s

1977 was a benchmark year for the High Standard company. It was the year that manufacture was moved from their Hamden facility to a smaller plant in East Hartford where production began on June 11, 1977.
I mention this because the move to the East Hartford plant is generally considered to mark the beginning of the decline of the company. There was, shall we say, a fall off in quality. The general advice is to avoid guns manufactured in East Hartford, though the initial production was probably just as fine as at Hamden.
What does the gun say on it's side? Hamden or East Hartford. In any case, as a 1977 gun, it is probably a good shooter; it's resale value might be affected a bit if it is stamped East Hartford.
Note - about Rugers and High Standards. With all due respect, there is no comparison (though, yes, the Rugers are very accurate). I own both guns for many years, have shot both in many competitions. The trigger and the grip make the difference. Even with a trigger job and extras on the inside, my Ruger Mk.II Gov't comes in second to my H-S Victor. I like'em both and shoot them both a lot but the High Standard goes on the higher shelf.
Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts