Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I bought this rifle new, and love the heck out of it, but the BOSS took a lot of getting used to, and it's still a PIA work doubler when I want to work up a new load. So I finally decided to take it off and try something else. The problem is, I have no idea what the thread size and pitch are. I measured it with my calipers, and to the outside of the threads it measured .560 inches or 14.22 mm. The thread length is .990 inches, or 25.15 mm and I counted 24 threads, but with these old eyes, that part is questionable, lol.
Does anyone here know if Winchester used a standard thread, as in 1/2x28 for these, or their own in house proprietary thread on the BOSS? I've found several brakes I'd like to try, but don't want to spend money on something I get to send back.

Thanks in advance!

Giest.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

I would respectfully suggest you trot the barreled action (no stock) down to a machine shop, and have them measure the threads for you - and even maybe make up a thread protector cap, incase you decide to go with "no" muzzle brake.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,959 Posts
Thought Winchester/Browning made a thread protector for just such a case.

Maybe you can contact Winchester and see what they can do for you. Probably best bet is to Google for Winchester Boss System Thread Protector.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts