Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just relating my experience, I have a Jim Brockman Masterguide 45-70 with some little extras.  Took a big doe at 50 yards with an NEI 410 gr FPGC (RCBS design) cast from 1/2 WW and 1/2 92/6/2 alloy,in front of 32 grs of XMP-5744 for 1400 fps.  Shot went a bit far back and high and caught her in the spine above the paunch exiting just in front of the offside ham.  blew a hole in spine I stuck my finger thru and wrecked one tenderloin with bone fragments(darn!) She dropped in her tracks and never moved.  Upon dressing there was a lot of congealed blood in the cavity,I believe I caught the femoral arteries before they branched down into the legs.  Impressive put down for what was admittedly a poor shot placement, Don't see any reason to push that bullet any faster for next year.

(Edited by KevinNY at 10:53 am on Dec. 11, 2001)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Wow Kevin. Impressive. I don't know much about your gun but at 50 yds I guess you got to see the hit if you had both eyes open. That had to be impressive but I am sure you were looking behind the shoulder. Did you find blood up in the trees? Did you recover the bullet?

That 45/70 is a round that haunts my dreams.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Kevin- I took a large doe last year with my 1895 Marlin and a 325 gr. RCBS. About 30 yards away, it only took one shot. She spun around in a circle about 3 times (I've never seen that before) and ran about 20 yards toward the fence. She didn't make it. I have never seen a deer hit this hard! Like the old-timers used to say, you could eat right up to the bullet hole. I'm a believer too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gun is equipped with ghost ring rear and an Ashley white bar front post. She was standing in a swampy spot and now that I think about it the bullet may have been deflected back there by the clump alder all around her.  Looking forward to making a better shot next year. And no, I did not recover the bullet, I don't even think it slowed down much!

(Edited by KevinNY at 10:41 am on Dec. 12, 2001)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Kevin- I know what you mean. I don't believe that deer are a ballistically significant target to a good 45-70 load.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts