Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this day, a sachel charge ended my brother's life. Abasketball player, he was a medic to his unit, going to help wounded Marines. He left a pregnant wife, and a family full of....hope. In the dark of the night, I feel him taking me fishin', I hear his voice. He would be 63 now. He was 22 when he died, and I was 12. Does America remember Greg??? Or was it just not popular? I remember Greg......Please America, don't forget ALL of our war-dead!!!!

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
hmm, 1-31-1969 was my birthday... as a former marine infantryman (0331 machinegunner) i developed a strong respect for the corpmen that were deployed with us! i don't know him but i respect and appreciate what he has done and what he has given... no greater gift has a man than he lay down his life for his friends.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ip ray for you and your family...I pray for my brother Greg, and the baby he never knew, Valarie. Thank you for your kind words. I hope America will become the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...soon.

·
Inactive account
1,239 Posts
Terry,
There are those of us out here that remember well your brother, Greg, and those like him. Those that gave so that we may live and live well. Thank you and God bless all of our brothers who fought and died for us.
God bless,
Greg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does America remember Greg??? Or was it just not popular?
Terry, yes Greg is remembered, as all those listed on THE WALL. I've been to DC three times since I came home in '68, and never had the guts to visit my comrands, not because I dont remember them, but because I was ashamed that I came home and they didnt.

Then last summer, my wife tricked me into going to see the Traveling Wall, in Sheridan WY. I almost made it, got withit 100 yards, but the ideal is I met LITTLE SIS, the lady who travels with the WALL trying to bring peace & Love to Vietnam Vets, showing they are remembered.

If you ever get a chance, visit the Traveling Wall, talk to Little Sis. You'll find your brother is remembered, is loved, and WE WILL NEVER FORGET those we left behind.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to go to the Travelling when it was in town, but I couldn't get out of my truck in the parking lot. Finally, in '96 or '98, wife and I went to D.C. We went to the wall. I found my brother's name, sat down, and we talked. I told him the baby he never knew became a freckle-faced little girl, and grew into a beautiful woman. I told him I didn't understand why he went there, but I understood that was his path. I told him I loved him. I left a red rose at his feet, a bouique of roses at the soldiers statue, and then I went home....

·
Inactive account
596 Posts
Even us north of the border remember the fallen who fought for freedom.
I have a deep respect for your brother and those who have fallen before and after him.

Blessings,

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To Sask Boy: thank you, I appreciate your kind thoughts...during the next full moon, I will remember you in my prayer.
To Kraigwy: I have no words to express my appreciation for you words and your military past. You are truly the cornerstone of what makes the U.S.A. a great country.
He was just a guy...liked fishin'...liked huntin'...liked blondes...loved his country. Little did he know being a corpsman meant having a target on your back. I said goodbye to him at the airport...I didn't know it would be forever. It was mid-Feb. he got a letter telling him wifey was pregnant, and 3-3-'69 we were notified he was KIA. I can't remember the sound of his voice...he
did however look really sharp in his Navy uniform!

·
Banned
505 Posts
Thanks to all Vets and sevicemen/women

TK many will remember our brothers and other greats like them and what they have done for our country! Glad to hear from you again sorry it was not such a bright topic, but it needs said nun-the-less we have lost alot of great men so that we could live on!

·
Registered
7 Posts
terry; your brother and many others are in our prayers out here.I lost 4 of my friends all out of the same neighborhood. I graduated in 1969, was classified 1a but never got called. --Always felt kinda guilty about that.

·
Banned
48 Posts
My father didn't die there but brought something home that would kill him anyway.He was in country 67-68.Because of the way he felt I was destined to be in the service of our country and 6 days after graduation I woke up in bootcamp.That was years ago.Anyone who has wore a uniform knows and honors your brother and all those who have given their lives for their country.And imho know this everyday including today and everyday here after that when a man or woman puts on a uniform or combat gear to go serve our country they are honoring your brother and all those who have "suited up for the cause".

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am over-whelmed with...joy, in knowing you guys(gals)...overcome with...the patriotism of this forum...overcome with the sacrifice of the servicemen of this country...(and I say this as an 11 year old, the last time I saw my brother) I can't remember the sound of his voice, but I can remember the smell of his aftershave, The way he cocked his NAVY hat on his head(so proud), the corpsman stripes...
I went to the wall in D.C., his name is there, Gregory Lance, when the Navy guys came to the door and said "Mrs Koupe (my mom), your son has been killed in action". and the fire, the life, just...like a balloon with a leak...just oozed from my Mother. Some time later, she just died..heartache I guess...In one breath, Walter Cronkite told us of fierce fighting...and in another, he told us of Kent St., and other campuses fighting the military. I gotta believe he died for SOMETHING,not just geography or politics...IS THAT WHY WE SEND OUR TROOPS IN, GEOGRAPHY AND POLITICS??? Can we not think of a better Idea?? I love my brother...and I'm just stuck at that point...Please help.....Terry

·
Banned
425 Posts
Many died for freedom and love for us or our younger brothers and sisters. They are alive in our memories and hearts and the live on through us in the good we do and the lives we lead thanks to each and every one of them. We can honor them in this! Also I plan on seeing most all of them in heaven someday. Alot of good people died too soon and are up there with Jesus waiting for us to come home in our own time.! God bless you and keep you Terry!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.