Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My carry gun, a BerretaPX4 shoots ball ammo and 115 HP's to the same point of aim at 10 yards. Has anyone chosen to carry a magazine with both? I can see the attraction if you are not sure if the person you are going to shoot may have a jacket or something which may need more pen. Am I over thinking this?

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I carry a LCP with three hard balls first and the rest HPs. My 8 shot 22 S&W revolver has three snake shot first the rest HPs.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,243 Posts
. Am I over thinking this?
Yes.
The concern with heavy clothing and a HP, is that it could potentially plug. But if it does, it becomes a FMJ.
Lucky Gunner labs has done a pile of ballistic tests on this, and share the videos if you're curious.

Cheers

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,864 Posts
My carry revolver is loaded with one 180 grain cast bullet at 1250 fps followed by five more. No penetration problems anticipated.

RJ

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
My experience with more than one load for any of the guns I use is that WAY more than I want, the one up the spout is not the one I want to use at that moment. My philosophy now is: one good load per gun that does everything I want that gun to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Modern self defense ammo has evoloved to the point that hardball really has no purpose other than practice. In 9mm the heavier bullets (Winchester 127 comes to mind) in a +P format are great for both heavy clothing and barriers. Mixed loads are a solution for a none existing problem and assumes 100% hit reliability. So - DON'T.

·
Registered
Certified Gunsmith
200 Posts
Shoot, I don't assume anything. I don't shoot +P. Don't like it. Personal preference and all. Besides the first round will blow their lung out!
I actually had my 8 round mag waiting for me to finish my range time, and thought, "why not add an extra one" so, down the pipe went an FMJ. Drop the slide, insert mag. Been that way for weeks now. Just haven't decided to change it.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I'd "guess" that the majority of folks shot everyday, were hit with ball ammo? That's just my limited experience.
Personally, I prefer hardcast semi-wadcutters. They ain't fancy, but they are effective.

Reactions: Mule

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
As with most folks I shoot a lot of different loads through Magazines. I have a Hi-Standard Model B Target that is a bit finicky. I only have one magazine for it, so I only load what I know it will shoot. Walther 22 LR 1911 will shoot anything.

My newer Striker fire pistols have not been finicky at all.

Some of my older IPSC pistols only liked certain ammo and I went through a ton of magazines to find out which were the most reliable. You could get them at gunshows for super cheap back then though which made it a bit easier. Some were good and some were stinkers.

·
Registered
Certified Gunsmith
200 Posts
One of the main differences between HP and FMJ would be that HPs will stop in the body where FMJs are more likely to penetrate deeper or pass through. I read something a while back about a test on a few calibers shooting through a car door to door. The 9mm FMJ went through both doors. I think there was a 45acp ball and a 223 55gr as well and both stopped in the second door. I'll have to see if I can find that article.
In any case, the FMJ will penetrate deeper, while the HP will cause more damage.
As to which to carry? Gotta make up your own mind. I certainly don't want to get hit with either!!!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,344 Posts
People aren't made out of the same material as car doors..... I wouldn't put too much into that example.

Hunt with handguns enough and you'll see interesting things happen when bullets go into flesh. They don't always go straight and they don't always do what you think. The most consistent performance in terms of straight penetration and wound channel size has been heavy-for-caliber flat nosed cast bullets, in my handgun hunting experience. But even those don't always go in a straight line or end up where you think they will. I haven't used flat-nosed jacketed bullets for hunting but I have a few that are suitable and someday, will give them a try and see how they match up to flat nose cast bullets. Logically, they should perform in a similar fashion.

Shoot all the plywood / steel / sheetrock / etc., that you want for 'testing' but it all falls short of reliably predicting what happens in the real world.

·
Registered
Certified Gunsmith
200 Posts
Experience is certainly a better judge of what happens over theory. I did find this video about using a car for cover, which was interesting. COVER.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
We did all sorts of shooting experiments on cars in 1973. City police had tried to stop a car with .38 spec 158 gr. Lead and injured a citizen with a richochet. The sheriff wanted to know.
A window regulator or simple body rib on any number of factors says ' shooting through a car' is different on every round. Nothing can be counted on to penetrate even one panel, but .357 and up usually do. A sheet metal screw in a Hornady 210 gr. .41 mag HP makes it MUCH more likely to penetrate the car and engine parts. I suspect that's true of any of the big bores but I haven't tried them. Given the tin foil body panels of today a .22 might work. ;)

Reactions: Pudfark

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Most common EDC weapons won't penetrate a car windshield. Bigger, heavier and harder is a tough argument, if you can accommodate it.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,243 Posts
Most common EDC weapons won't penetrate a car windshield.
🙄🙄
I don't know who told you that utter nonsense, but they clearly know very little about actually shooting into; or out of a vehicle. It's not even kinda hard to get through a windshield with any of the common auto pistol cartridges; with remotely modern bullets.

That's just pistols, you said "EDC weapons".
The AR that lives in my pickup, which is ubiquitous; will cut through a windshield like a fat kid chasing cake. As will the buckshot in my 12 gauge, another common daily passenger in that pickup.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
There are numerous high speed vids of pistol bullets hitting safety glass. It takes very little angle to deflect any of them. One of our patrol cars was shot eleven times with a .22 rifle in the windshield. Only one penetrated and it was laying on the front seat. Side glass is different and usually at about right angles to the bullet.

Reactions: Im2Tall2Play2!

·
Registered
Certified Gunsmith
200 Posts
A quick search on the you tube will reveal a plethora of bullets passing through windshields. Trajectory is another matter. Don't expect the to fly straight!!

Reactions: Darkker
1 - 20 of 29 Posts