Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do these work?

1. Sounds like they must be ordered according to your barrel contour.

2. Do the sights have to be manually notched according to the exact load you're going to shoot?

3. I wanted to mount one on my recent Rem 798 Safari purchase. I assume they have to be drilled to match my existing rear sight's holes?

4. Would you recommend 1,2 or 3 leaves?

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I personally only want ONE set of sights on my barrel for a "dangerous game" rifle! I don't want to be fooling around flipping sights up or take a chance of flipping the wrong one by mistake etc. I have 1 set of sights zeroed in dead-on at 50 yards.

Those sights that are on the CZ rifles, ( 3 leaf EXRESS) are not my cup of tea! They are ugly for starters and way to big for the barrel of their rifle. I just don't care of the looks at all but that is my opinion only ok.:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tracer, did you change the front sight height to zero in?

Is your rifle (w/ the express sights) a 375 H&H? Mine is that caliber, Rem 798 Safari.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Express sights are designed to be used quickly and to shoot to a pre-determined range. The design is simple, but excellent. Being as how scope use is far more prevalent today, than "back in the day", I'd say a two leaf system would be more than sufficient for today's hunter of dangerous game. For a reasonably flat shooting caliber, such as the .375 H+H, I'd say two would be great. One set for a 50-100 yd zero and the longer range one (which, in my opinion would normally not be used except when a wounded animal shows itself at a longer range than anticipated and scope replacement is not feasible) for a 150 yd or so zero. Flipping up the long-range leaf is a half second task, which can be done as the rifle is raised to fire with practice.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
On my model 70 Winchester rifles, which are in .375H&H, .416-Rem mag, .458 Winchester, .458-Lott, and the .470-Capstick caliber. I only have and want 1 rear sight only. It will be set at 50 yards dead-on target. Now if I do need to shoot at an animal 100 yards away, I simply raise the elevation of the front sight accordingly.

I will know where that bullet strikes prior to the hunt at 100 yards and how much to elivate the rifle to hit the target. It is not rocket science. The rear sight is stationary and I do NOT have to flip it up, nor would I ever want to do so. I do not wish to waste time or worrying about getting the front sight flipped up in time if their should be some sort of charge by said animal.

Most of my rifles have quick detach Leupold steel mounts, using a Leupold Vari X - 3 rifle scopes on them with 1 x 4 or 2 x 7 power variable scopes. Only the .470-Capstick is strictly iron sights! It's sights are set at 50 yards, using a 500 grain Swift A Frame bullet and a 500 grain Woodleigh solid. The majority of PH's want you to have a scoped rifle verses just an iron sighted rifle......you will go to the rifle range first day prove your marksmanship for the PH.

Usually the leafs on the Express sights are filed in to suit the load of your rifle, takes a little time to do this but that's what is usually done. The 3 leaf sight is set at 50, 100 & 150 yards for the most part. I'll stay with one rear sight and simply learn where my rifle shoots at 100 and 150 yards ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts