Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello hope everyone is doing well,

I have been reloading pistol and rifle ammo for years, never Shotshell. My 11 year old daughter wants to get into sporting clays and since I won a Beretta A400 last week at a charity event, and already have one I am trading it in for a 20 gauge silver pigeon for her to start shooting. Looking for a recommendation for load. I have 4000 Rio Primers, and 8 lbs Hodgen Universal Powder. I also picked up 1000 Rio 20 gauge primed hulls and looking for recommendations on what wads and load data I should use for her. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,816 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Glad to see you here and hope that you post often. My recommendation would be to refer to reliable loading data from trusted sources such as the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual. There are also online sources such as Hodgdon Reloading Data that may be helpful. It depends what you prefer and what reloading components are available. I am sure there are others on this site that will be willing to offer advice. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the welcome!! I did buy a Lyman Reloading Handbook last week, no Rio hull load data. So found some on Ballistic Products website, but after looking at loads I found a few different wads then read they have different patterning and was really looking for ways best for sporting clays.. The book and website does not tell me that. Thanks again,
Terry

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,296 Posts
Words like "best", are an individual's preference; not a universal thing.
Experiment and test to see what works for what you want.

Cheers

·
Registered
715 Posts
Most 20 ga sporting clay loads are either 7.5 or 8 shot size.
It would be up to you to pattern the load(s) as some shotguns tend to pattern differently. You may want to ask a participant at the sporting club range what they are using for wads.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Hello hope everyone is doing well,

I have been reloading pistol and rifle ammo for years, never Shotshell. My 11 year old daughter wants to get into sporting clays and since I won a Beretta A400 last week at a charity event, and already have one I am trading it in for a 20 gauge silver pigeon for her to start shooting. Looking for a recommendation for load. I have 4000 Rio Primers, and 8 lbs Hodgen Universal Powder. I also picked up 1000 Rio 20 gauge primed hulls and looking for recommendations on what wads and load data I should use for her. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum from Texas.

Sounds like you are off to a good start as far as components go. Universal is a good 20 gauge powder for 7/8 and 1 oz. loads. For the RIO hull, you are going to need a wad designed for "Straight Walled" hulls. The Federal 20S1 or equivalent. As far as I know, Claybuster does not make an equivalent in 20 gauge. Ballistic Products does carry the Guilandi line of wads (the SG20 line).

I would call BP and talk with them since you likely bought the hulls from them. RIO's have different height base wads depending on which hull you bought and that will make a HUGE difference on stack height and compatibility with your powder and possible wad combinations.

I would also try and get my hands on either some Winchester AA HS, or Remington RXP, Premier or STS hulls. You will find ton's more load data and honestly, they are a much better hull.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JWSmith Thank you from Texas!! That was the answer I was looking for. I have been shooting AA in my 12 gauges and STS in my 20 gauges for years, just never loaded them as I would just grab a few cases each a year and that would work for a few hunts and a few clay rounds. Like everything ammo I am trying what I can to get something for my daughter to shoot since she is showing interest, and don’t want to miss the opportunity with her. So only thing I am missing is the wads I think. I ordered a few thousand claybuster WAA20 wads as that is all I can find and a few people say they work but not ideal. I have put in notifications for SG20 line at a few places and will grab them when they come in. Just waiting for my Sizemaster to arrive this week. Since you are in Texas if you ever need anything in the metallic reloading let me know I have just about everything that is hard to get. I prepped for that not even thinking about being short on Shotshells..

Thanks again,
Terry

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you have been shooting STS in 20 gauge...I hope you saved some hulls. The WAA20 wad would be ideal for them...but less than ideal for the RIO hull. They can be used and maybe okay in summer months....but with low pressure loads and in the Winter with RIO hulls, you might not be happy with them.

I'll be blunt. Rio, Cheddite, Fiocchi, and Estate are known for the most part as "Eurotrash" hulls...the reason is that you never know which basewad you are going to get which makes a HUGE difference in reloading. I'm glad you got a quality loader like a Sizemaster...I own three. The other issue you are going to have is the RIO primer. Once you use them, you cannot go back to CCI, Winchester or other American primer makers. The RIO is slightly larger and you will likely have issues if you switch back to a standard 209 primer. Since you have 4000, that might not be an issue.

I have over 85 flats of 20 gauge loaded and it is not my favorite gauge, so I haven't loaded it in a few years...:D But if you have anymore specific questions...please feel free to ask or PM me.

Good luck and all the best.

Joel

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've reloaded the RIO hulls, and like JWS stated, the primers are slightly larger than standard 209; however, BP sells a simple tool that resizes the RIO primer pocket to "standard" size - it works. So, you have that option if you run out of RIO primers (don't throw those "hulls" away!). Most people do not experiment with shot shell reloading, and settle on one or two powder/wad combinations that work for their particular sport. While it's a bit more trouble to change components on a shotgun press, it can be well worth your time experimenting for that "magic" combination that makes your gun shoot better and farther than with the standard factory "bird shot" products. Have fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone. I think I got a good idea where to start with what I have.. unfortunately I never saved any hulls so going with what I can get right now..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts