Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came across a guy selling a NIB Winchester Defender.  Met him as a friend of a friend, you get the idea.  He tells me about the gun, and asks 150 for it.  I figure for that price how can I go wrong....  Give him the cash, and two days later go to pick it up.
 Well, it turn out the shotgun is a 20ga., not a 12; but agian, for that price, I take it.
 So my question to the knowledgable folks on this forum is,  Can the 20ga. offer the same type of bear protection that a 12 with slugs can?
 If I am lucky, and the answer is yes, what slugs work the best?  I just purchased a box each of; Remington Golden saber,Winchester's rifled slugs, Federal's Hydro shocks and one box each of the Brenneke's different types.  I have yet to get to the range.
 Any help is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Sorry, I can't vouch for the 20 ga. factory slug loads, but I have played extensively with handloads using the Lyman 385g Sabot slug, both in 2 3/4" and 3" shells.  With the right loading, these long slugs shoot very, very well.  They are devastating on game too by the way!  Huge wound channels with the large frontal meplat.

They seem to penetrate as well or perhaps a tad better than Lyman's 12 ga. slug of the same design, simply because the 20 ga has a better sectional density.  

However, matching the performance of a 12 ga.  No, I don't see how that could ever happen!  However, the right load in that 20 ga. defender would still be a mighty persuasive deterrent for most any aggressor, two or four legged!

Pray you don't ever need it.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
M141A,
      I can't speak to the effectiveness of 20 ga on bears but they sure work fine on deer. And I have a definite opinion on slugs too. I would stick with those Brenneke's. They seem to be harder than any other slug I used when I deer hunted with a shotgun in Delaware. A Brenneke would penetrate pretty much end to end through a whitetail while any other slug I tried would only pass through on a broadside shot. The others flattened too much, though they did hold together and killed OK. I used a smooth bore so never tried the sabot slugs, but I think for bear protection I would want as much projectile mass as possible anyway.       ID

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information gentlemen.  I feel that for now I'm gonna stick to factory loads, I don't reload for shotshells yet, although I agree with you Marshall about the sectional density.
 As I stated before, I have yet to shoot it, but hope to get to the range on Thursday, the 24th to try it out.
 I've shot the Brenneke's in 12ga. and they definitely do the job IDshooter.  Maybe this 20ga. will turn out to be alright after all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts