Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to build a .19-.223 or one of the .20 caliber options. During my research, I came across a round known as the .20 Jordan. The case appears to be a modified .223 case. Can someone Identify the case for me? Also, I need the ballistics for this round, can someone help? Thanks for all replies........."RR"

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Ridge,
I don't know about the 20 Jordan, but have heard of a couple different flavors of 20/223's out there.  I think one was an "improved" version typical of what Ackley did with his improveds.  Sorry, no real info.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alyeska: I found this cartridge on a web site (forget which one) and they had it among some other similar rounds in a photo. By appearance it is a .223AI necked to the twenty. I would love to see the ballistics on this, as I am looking to build a small caliber bolt action that has 400+ yard potential, and one of these little rifles would fit that need. BTW, does anyone know where I can find a Ruger action for this project? My guess is I am going to have to buy the whole rifle, and throw half of it away...........LOL.    "Ridge"

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
I think Brownell's sells barreled actions for either Remington, Ruger, or pehaps both.  They might also sell #1 actions with no barrel - sorry don't have the catalog in front of me so going from memory.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike: Thanks for your response. I looked in the Brownell Catalog, and yes they do have them. The thing is, I can get a brand new rifle at a better price. I am becoming convinced that my best (most economical) option is to buy a good solid used rifle, (Ruger or Remington .223) and change out the barrel to the .19 or.20 that I desire to build. BTW, I am planning to mount a 6.5 X 20 X 40 Leupold on this outfit. Can you or someone else recommend some less expensive high quality scopes in this size and power range?   Thanks.........."Ridge"

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Yeah, Ridge, Brownells is pretty high on the actions.  At least I thought so.  Someone had posted in another thread that you can pick up new CZ actions in the low to mid 3's.  If you can find a rifle with a bad stock or something similar you can probably pick-up and good action from it for a couple hundred bucks.  There may be other actions that are suitable, I don't know.  I'd check out some of the gun auction sites, Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, GunsXchange, and see if you can pickup something there.

Sounds like a pretty neat project.  Let us know how it goes.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
I can't recommend anything other that Leupold as that's all I use (call me a bigot) except I do have one very old K10 Weaver, steel tube, adjustable objective that works great.

I do, however, have a 6.5x20 40mm AO that I was thinking of trading off (to buy other goodies) ... send me a message if interested.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aleyaska: Thanks for the help, I checked those sites, and I will surely find something suitable............Mike I am in that bias boat with you...LOL. Leupold is all I own at this time. I would most definitely be interested in your scope. Please e-mail me with the details.  Thanks, "Ridge"

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Ridge and Mike,
Like the both of you, I'm a Leupold person too.  I've tried just a couple of other brands, Zeiss and Swarovski.  While both of these were excellent scopes, I like the Leupold's better.  I guess it's the european crosshairs or something, I just didn't like either one very well.  Both were quite a bit heavier and larger than the Leupold too.  I am interested in trying Burris' compact series though.

I've got a very knowledgable friend of mine that swears by Nikon.  He actually sold his Leupolds and replaced them with the Nikons.  To each his own I guess.  I like the Leupolds.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The project is under way, as I found a Remington action that I plan to send to Shilen for fitting to a #3 contour barrel in the .20 bore. So far, it is looking like it will be a "Tactical Twenty", but I am still very curious about the .20 Jordan. I just cannot find any info at all, but by appearance, it would be "warmer" than the "TT" ................ I expect project completion around the first of August.      "Ridge"

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
You could make your own on what you think the 20 Jordan is.  Call it the 20 Ridgerunner or something similar.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alyeaska: How right you are! I finally got some info on the .20 Jordan. It is indeed an Improved .223 case. I also found that it does not function well, if at all, from box or clip magazines, and is mostly a single shot rifle round. Therefore, I am now fully committed to the "Tactical Twenty". The action I found will be "trued" and fittet with the Sako extractor. Shilen is to fit the new barrel to this action, and send it on to be put in the stock, which will be pillar bedded, and free floated. This one ought to be a honey!

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Ridge,
It ought to be!!!  Let us know how that turns out, sounds more than plenty interesting.  Ought to be great fun to shoot.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alyeska: I sure will come back and report on this project. Should be done around the end of July. In the meantime, I went to a gunshow yesterday, and picked up a very clean Ruger M77 in 25-06. This will give me something to tinker with while I'm waiting. This new one is pretty to look at, classic stock with red butt pad, and a midweight barrel. Blueing looks like new, but the man swore it was original. Bolt face is clean, and rifling looks almost virginal. I will fire it up this week and see what she'll do.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Hey Ridge, how's the project coming along?  I just sent a rifle off to Z-hat for work and was looking at Fred's website and noticed he has a bunch of sub .22 cal reamers and makes rifles for the assorted 20's and 17's a lot.  His web for reamers is:
http://www.z-hat.com/Reamers%20Avail.htm

Don't know if this helps, sounds like you are already well under way.  Interesting .12 calibers though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alyeska: I just noticed your reply today......Here is where the T-20 stands: The barrel is ready for fitting to the Borden action, which should arrive at Shilen any day now. After much thought, I have decided to scope it with an 8.5 X 25 X 50mm Leupold long range target with thin duplex reticle; in matte. Once the barrel is fitted to the action, it will be sent back to Borden for fitting to the stock. (Rimrock). Today, I ordered the dies and brass, along with some cleaning supplies and a bore guide. If all goes well, I should get to "fire it up " around the last of June...........I will let you know how she does.........Take care......."Ridge"

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Hey Ridge,
Any progress report on the 20?  Hopefully there have been no bad surprises that seem to creep into these types of projects.  If my guess is right, you should be pretty close to touching off a round in your new rifle.

Let us know how the project is going and what it shoots like.  This is terribly interesting to me.  Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts