Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pre-sellout 3" S&W 696 44 spec 5 shooter pistol.  Does anyone have any good moderate 200 gr Cast bullet loads for the 44 special?  The 200's hit at Point of Aim better then heavier bullets (the rear sight gets bottomed out before I get zeroed with the heavy stuff), and I not interested in trying to turn this little 44 special into a magnum.

Thanks is advance, Tom

·
Registered
156 Posts
Tom, you could try 7.2 grs. of Hodgdon Universal for about 950 fps. w/ a 200 gr. bullet- hard cast lead. Its very accurate in my revolvers. Hope this helps you out. Good shooting,   Don

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have a model #24 that I reload for. Many years ago I purchesed a 4 cavity mold from a company in Penn. called P and S, I believe. This mold threw a 200 grain wadcutter. I used Unique as my powder as I bought the stuff in the 4 lb cans for my 45 Colt.
For medium loads I used something like 6.5 grains to 6.8 grains. I worked out pretty well considering the gun.
That needs explaining.
Me and that revolver have been at odds from the day I got it. You, him and his cousin can shoot that revolver into the X-ring all day long. Me shooting the same load, same day, same gun would be lucky to say that I hit the hillside with any consistancy.
I have lapped the barrel, I polished the trigger/hammer, recrowned the barrel, put new grips on it. Took it to chuch had the clergy pray over it, had the medicine man shake bones at it, threatened it, considered turning it into a 22RF.
That revolver and I just don't like each other.
It's too nice to sell, it shoots well for every one but me, so I won't sell it.
Jim

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
220 gr. Sierra Jacketed over 5.8 gr. of Green Dot or Universal Shoot great. Different velocities I am sure but hit on target with my Magnum hunting loads. My gun is a 5 1/2 " SBH.

180 gr. Hornady XTP over 5.8 gr. Universal hit the same place too.

All my attempts at 240 gr. lead all hit high. This is Green Dot and Universal at 5.0 gr. I have not tried any lower than that and I don't think I will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts