Shooters Forum banner

200 Yard Big Bore Shoot

6K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  MS Hitman 
Hi guys,

As 445 Supermag pointed out, the International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association(IHMSA) is a good avenue for wringing out the accuracy of your hadngun/load combination and ability to hit the tragets you are aiming for.  However, we are not so critical of ourselves, much less others who are interested in learning about the sport.  I am a match director and am willing to assist anyone who is interested in finding a club close to them to try this out.  

IHMSA now has categories open for those who wish to shoot open sighted or scoped handguns in a variety of positions.  BTW, Creedmore (lying down) is only easy if you are watching.  Stepping up to the line makes things much more challenging.  We shoot on the fourth sunday of every month from March to September here in Jackson, MS.  If you are close by and wish to join us, we'd like to have you visit. Anyone interested can reach me at rjmillette@riflemag.com

Let's see about penetration.  I shot a male Zebra at 220 yards with a .375JDJ using the 300 grain FMJ by Winchester.  It entered the right side nearly at the back of the rib cage and exited the left shoulder.  At this angle, the bullet hit the heart and traversed the right lung.   Guide noticed a large dust cloud on the side of the animal opposite us.

Shot my Hartebeest at nearly 300 yards with a .309JDJ. I know this is not a big bore, but the 165 grain Ballsitic Tips held together to break the front legs.  The first shot broke the onside leg and the bullet was recovered.  The second shot broke the offside leg and that bullet was not recovered.  Shot my Blesbok at nearly 200 yards and the 165 Ballistic Tip completely penetrated both shoulders.  

Shot my Gemsbok with a .454 at ranges from 150 yards to 5 feet.  First bullet broke the left shoulder and exited near the rear of the rib cage.  Second bullet broke the right rear leg and was found in the stomach.  The jacket and core seperated, but still managed to penetrate nearly 2.5 feet.  My third shot was through the neck and it was lost in the ground.

This is some of the experiences I've had on game larger than a Whitetail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.