Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am in need of above to use in drilling.  case is a 9.3x72rmm TAPERED down to groove of 0.354.  throat is same dia.  this confirmed by chamber cast and slugging of barrel.  case is 2.83in. +/- in length. col is 3.4 in.  vel expected of 1800-2100 fps.  quary is whitetail.  in N.GA. my avg. shot is 35-80 yds.  have handloaded various calibers for years with jacketed bullets.  don't know beans about cast but figure vel is high enough to need checks.  have new norma 9.3x72rmm cases and set of dies from huntington's rcbs obsolete die list marked exactly as "9x72mm(8.7x72)".  arm is marked as 8.7 72.  cases sized allow closure of action.  plan on using imr 3031 with start in mid 20's and work up with chrony.  can any one point me in direction of bullet supply?  any thought on hardness?  expect water capacity of brass in mid 60's.  any one here have powder quantity thoughts to max around 20000 psi.  arm is nitro proofed from suhl in period of 1912-1939--probably in 20-25000 psi range.  barrel length is 26.5 in.  consider all suggestions as this is new ground and full of roots!!  drilling proofed for 13g B1.G.--a lead bullet of 200 grains.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
This is a CAN DO proposition!  Any of our .35 Caliber rifle bullets may be requested in .354", .355", .356", .357", .358", or .359"  Perhaps the best of the litter would be our 210g LFNGC bullet.  It has a very nice, graceful ogive and is an exceptionally accurate bullet.  These are heat-treated to a BHN of 21, appropriate to the application of your drilling.

Simply let us know your needs..... and a lead time to get the job done, as we are severely backlogged with orders!

Your choice of 3031 is a good one, also consider RL-7 for your intended loads.

Let us know what you find!

God Bless,

Marshall Stanton

·
Banned
7 Posts
I just acquired a Drilling marked 87-72, so I will have the same problems. If rackette is still on the forum, I would like to be in contact with him and find out what he has learned. I have ordered the dies and Norma brass from Huntington, but can't fin any info on the shell holder to use. Thanks.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
It's doesn't look like rackettc has logged in for a long time.

The RCBS 1997 Special Order Catalog lists the Number 2 shell holder for the 9X72R. This is the .30-30 Winchester size. It lists the Number 30 for the 9.3X72R which is the .41 Remington Magnum. A little less common, but you can get them.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
7 Posts
Jack,
Thanks a lot. From that, it appears that the 9x72R has a different head than the 9.3x72R. Guess I will have to wait until I get my brass to find out whether I have to trim the heads. RCBS makes a die to form the 9x72R from the 9.3x72R.
I slugged the barrel, and the lands are .347 and the grooves are 356. It has been a long time wince I have done any reloading. Should a lead bullet be groove diameter, or slightly over?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'm with Jack, check the throat size and as long as it's not excessive, I'd use a cast bullet the same size as the throat. According to your measurements, the throat should be .356" - .357"

If that's the condition you have, I start with bullets of .001" over the throat diameter. Thus, if you're throat is .356" then you'll want a .357" bullet. If the throat is .357" go with a .358" bullet as that only puts it .002" over the groove diameter, usually you can go .003" over groove dia. before you may see pressure problems if you running hot loads.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too concerned about running a GC if you're not going to run real hot loads. I have a 7.62x39 load running around 2100 fps and never get a hint of leading using 30:1 WW/Sb (wheel weight/antimony) alloy and no GC on a bullet made for one.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Thanks, Jack and Mark. I am not going to be shooting hot loads, since I will not be shooting anything more dangerous than paper. I wil order a box of the 210g LFNGC bullets from Beartooth at 258, and see how it works out. Since the sights on this gun are smaller than those on a military 1911A1, that should be sufficient.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Jack Monteith said:
It's doesn't look like rackettc has logged in for a long time.
rackettc's profile said:
Last Activity: 12-31-1969 07:00 PM
Umm, yeah, I'd say so! :D :D I knew Al Gore invented the internet, but I didn't realize he did it so long ago

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,955 Posts
Good one, JB - :D

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Another problem with the forum software is that it doesn't distinguish between B.C. and A.D. dates, so kdub's early posts aren't dated properly.

Bye
Jack

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,955 Posts
Wait a minute, Jack -

You saying I'm from the Stone Age? :confused:

Would expect that sort of treatment from DOK or 1894, but never from you! :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts