Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody load a 200gr cast bullet for a 357?
if so i was looking for a starting point for h110.
thanks

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,443 Posts
Mike, in Winchester's 'freebie' load book, they have the following for the .357 mag:

"200 Grains Lead" (not a real helpful description!)
12.4 grains WW296
velocity 1335 fps (barrel length apparently 8 3/8")
pressure 35,000 CUP
They do recommend a magnum primer

As 296 and H110 are one and the same... save normal lot-to-lot variations... this ought to get you started.

Good luck and if you get any chrono results, please let us know. I'm curious myself but haven't tried it.

·
Banned
24 Posts
I'm working on such a load right now. I want something that will give adequate penetration on the neck bones of an elk. All of my initial testing is done in a 4 5/8" Blackhawk.

The load will only be used to dispatch an animal that's down. Two years ago, I hit a cow elk high through the shoulders and required another shot. While my .375 H&H certainly did the trick, it wasn't a result for pictures.

Im using a 210gr Penn TC. I found that WW296 was difficult to use as pressures ran too high. Strangely starting in the middle of all of the recommended loads I could find pressures were higher than I wanted to stuff in my M19. Less powder produced higher pressures, more powder even higher.

All Federal brass trimmed to minimum specs with a Lee. Win Mag Pistol primers with 296, Std Pistol primers with Alliant powders.

5.0gr of Herco was safe enough, but velocity in my 2.5" M19 was 840fps, my 4" M66 was a tad over 900. 5.5gr and pressures increase fast so be careful, I currently have 7.0gr of Blue Dot loaded up and will run that over the screens soon.

I.m hoping to get 950fps with modertate pressures.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My current load with Cast Performance 200WFN in my Ruger GP-100 4" is 15.0gr H110 = 1226fps using CCI SP MAG primers. I started working up from 12.0gr and found 1" groups and a SD of less than 10fps when I got to 15gr. That is definitely good enough for me!
-Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts