Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to posting on Bear tooth, I'm wondering if somebody might be able to help me here. I will be purchasing my very first 45-70. A Ruger #1, what my question is, is this, can I turn this gun into a legitimate 200 yd. gun for deer? I was looking at the 300 gr. Barnes original spitzer designed for the 45-70. If I start this bullet at about 2100fps and sight it in 3" high at 100yds it should only be a couple of inches low at 200 yds. Remaining velocity of this bullet at 200yds should be in the 1600fps range. Do you guys think this would be a good combination with the caveat that the gun shoots this bullet well. Now I realize that the 45-70 is no 7mm whiz bang in regards to trajectory, but do I have the right idea or is there a better answer for longer range game shooting, maybe I'm asking to much from this grand old cartridge? Any input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If I sight mine in 3" high at 100 yards, it is 6 to 7 inches low at 200 yards. This is witha 420gr FNPB cast bullet started at 1850fps from my Marlin Guide Gun, I can get 2000fps from my #1 and that shaves an extra inch off the trajectory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Beeman, Whitesmoke

Please excuse the blank post, I'm new here, "badfingered" my keyboard. I get 2100 from my Marlin 1895 with a 22" barrel using the Nosler 300 gr Partition protected point, at under max charges. My personal point blank range values for deer are no higher than +2" and no lower than -3". For those values, this bullet at 2100 hits +2 at about 85 yards and is -3 at 175 yards. The Ruger #1 is perhaps the stongest action made, you should be able to load up to 2500fps, and use spitzer bullets (although for deer you would be hard-pressed to find a better bullet than the Nosler). At any rate, your gun will easily make 200 yards, and you might squeeze 250. The Hornady reloading manual has good data for the Ruger#1. and the Hodgdon "annual manual" lists the Sierra 300 HP at 2400 in the Marlin and 2500 in the Ruger (24" barrels). By the way, why not the Marlin in .45/70? A real fun gun, great for eastern whitetails in the woods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts