Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was really looking hard at the Winchester 70 coyote lite, but I've been reading that it has some pretty tough recoil...enough to jerk the scope off the target. The 204 is right there for velocity and distance, but there aren't as many rounds available. I just don't think I'd have much fun shooting a rifle that doesn't allow me to watch a prarie dog splatter after discharge. What are your findings with the 22-250? Should I be worried about ammo drying up for the 204?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
No one would ever call the .22-250 recoil "tough". Never. But it is true that the sights do bounce enough to move the scope off a prairie dog. If seeing your bullets hit is the main goal, the .204 is for you.

I use a .22-250 for all my varmint hunting, and I especially recommend it if your varmints will go as large as coyotes. I just don't care if I see "prairie dog splatter" every time, but the heavier bullets are much better suited to coyotes, which I believe are, pound for pound, a very tough animal.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I currently own a .223 and if I were in the market for another varmint set up I would definately go with the .204. I have read enough about them to realize it is a new cartridge that actually works as intended. The 22-250 would have to wait although it is a great, proven round.

·
Banned
415 Posts
I've been thinking about getting one of each myself...I wouldn't be concerned about ammo for the .204, but then I'm not concerned about ammo for any caliber. If I need to buy factory ammo for it, I'll buy a case when I come across one, and that'll settle me for long enough to find another gun to play with, or another case of ammo. The .204 hasn't been selling around here, to the point that the local Wholesale sports carries exactly two .204's on the rack out of about 300-350 guns. So just looking at that, I might be worried about it dying. Do a search on the internet however, and there's an awful lotta folks parading it around, even now, a fair number of years after it's been introduced.

I haven't had a chance to see a .204 used on a coyote, and I honestly can't decide if they'd be good for a coyote or not (lots of guys swear it, the rest swear at it), I wouldn't hesitate to use it on anything lighter built or smaller than I coyote however. If you want to stay on target, the .204 is without a doubt the answer (out of the two).

As Saskshooter also said, however...the .22-250 is absolutely NOT tough in terms of recoil. Absolutely not. But chances are quite good you will lose a gopher in the recoil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just picked up my first varmint rifle, s Savage 12btcss. I had 22-250, 223 and 204 to choose from in that series. I like what the 204 had to offer, but chose the 223 mostly due to options in ammo. Most people I talked to said the same thing about the ammo. It is plentiful and the cheapest of the lot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for your input. I will follow up with my decision. I have to admitt I'm leaning towards the 204. Gonna be looking for the bullet going through the target through my scope.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a 223 and a 204. My advice is get the 204 and learn to reload. I use RL10X powder and Sierra 39 gn Blitzkings. I have no problem getting 200 yard headshots on groundhogs and yes, you watch the bullet hit. The Sierra BK enters with a small hole and explodes. Big exit hole inside 100 yards on ground hog. A prarie dog would just explode. Past that all you find is a dead animal with no sign of what happened. I like the bullet so much that I bought a box of 500. It should last me a while.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mush, I just bought the 204. See my newest post. Can't wait to devestate some varmints. I wanna get into reloading just for the sport of it.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
The .204 Ruger is a fantastic round! I won't call the .22-250 tough in recoil, but its unpleasant to shoot all day. My Rem 700 in .204 is very accurate and even though its not very heavy, it still doesn't wander after the shot. Whatever has been hit with the bullet has dropped like a heavy sack of potatoes. It absolutely smacks coyotes, prairie dogs, and crows.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL! I can't wait to do some "smacking" myself. I get free access to the gun range just for buying from the gun shop. Hard to beat those Mississippi good-o-boys.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Don't worry about the .204 disappearing, it'll be around for quite some time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts