Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang;

I'm sorting through a bunch of old dies and stuff (more of these posts to come, I'm sure)...looking for a feeler on a couple of items. I can see that RCBS still makes this stuff, albeit custom, my question is: Does anyone still use it??

1) RCBS 219 Imp. Zip. form die. Only other stamp on the die is 'P'

2) RCBS 3-die set, form dies #1, 2 and 3 for 22/30-30 Imp. Also has the 'P' stamped on it

3) I asked about this on another post here: But, also have a 2-die set (FL sizer and seater) RCBS stamped 17 LOV. I have to assume this is a .17 Lovell. These have an 'I' stamped on them, and 'SPEC', I'm assuming special order.

All are in good shape, minimal surface rust and not beat up. Are these paper weights, or is anyone still using these?

Any help much appreciated!

Trails4u.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The .22/30-30 Ackley Improved gives about the same performance as the standard .225 Winchester, but the .225 Win brass is heavier and will take more pressure. The improved versions of the .225 Win are in the .22-250 class for both case capacity and performance, so they give .22-25 performance but in a rimmed case, which can be an advantage in a Contender, where warm rimless cartridge loads do not always want to extract, with the somewhat flexible extractor used in the rimless contender rounds.

It's also a three step process to form the .22/30-30, as you essentially have to size it in a 7-30 Waters die, then neck size to 6.5mm, before doing a final size in the .22/30-30 die. Consequently, between the workload and the performance of the .225 Win, most folks probably regard the .22/30-30 AI as being more trouble than it's worth.

I suspect your 3 die forming set will accomplish all of the above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess my next question is......do either of them have any value? I'm selling off a bunch of stuff to raise some $$ for some medical bills for my wife. Are these worth trying to sell.....or not worth much?

Thanks! Chris.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
There's going to be a very limited market for any of those die sets, but to the right person, they absolutely have value. Whether or not you'll find a person on these pages who is interested I tend to doubt, but on a site like Gunbroker, your odds would be much improved.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Having one of those reloading die sets in hand, would make the time needed to do up a wildcat lever or single shot rifle, come way down. The 225 Win. will work, as its a 30-06 rim, on a smaller diameter case. But having a true 30WCF rim will help things in a 30-30 Win. lever action, conversion. Barrels and wildcat finish reamers are quick studies, but its their custom reloading dies which take so many months. But to paraphrase Bill Gates, "wildcatting is a journey, not a destination". No one wildcat is going to be anyone's ultimate achievement. Somewhere there is a decommissioned rifle, for which those dies were made for. And sorry to hear about the medical problems, on your end.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The .225 Win pretty much made all those obsolete. The difference between those wildcats and the .225 is very small, (other than rim diameter). And the .219 never did catch on the way the .22-250 did.

That said, I'd take 'em from you if the price is right. I have a Krag converted to .219 Zipper, and might someday want to "Improve" it. A reamer can still be had.

P/M me. I'd like pics, if it can be arranged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts