Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of building a 94 Winchester in one of these two calibers. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two, and the pros or cons of either/each?
As always
Mucas Gracias

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Juan,
Handloader #156 had a good article on the .22-30-30 Ackley. Written by Ray boone.
The .22-30-30 has about 1.4 grains of water more capacity than the .22-250. It looks like case forming can be an aquired art with this cartridge. I have some friends with Zippers, Improved Zippers and .225 Winchesters. I like them all. The standard Zipper, like my .25-35 sticks cases pretty quickly in any type action. Looks to me like the .22-30-30 is a single shot cartridge or perhaps a good P-14 enfield project.
Boone peaked at about 3,700 fps from a 28" barreled Hi-Wall.
I have made both .30-30's and .25-35's from the .375 Winchester brass. I am now doing this for the .30-30AI. It adds a few steps but I think it is worth the effort. If I played with a zipper improved in a lever action I think I would do it with a Big Bore reciever, as thick a barrel as I could get away with and .375 brass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 219 Zipper AI is .10" shorter than the 22/30-30.
The 219 Zipper AI is also nearly a twin to the 225 Win.
With my AI Zipper the point of the shoulder needs shoved back a couple thousandths for the first loading and then they load normally after that. No brainer! The smaller rim of the 225 causes me no problems at all in my gun, but it may in a lever gun. If you have to make EITHER the 219 Zipper Imp. or the 22/30-30 I'd recommend that you start with 25-35 brass. Forming is much easier that way and you won't need an expensive set of form dies if you are carfull with the forming process.
As much as I like the 219 Zip.AI, I like the 219 Donaldson Wasp better.
Todd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts