Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
39,117 Posts
I have a .22-250 and they are quite useful for certain things. With a 26 inch barrel the noise is not so bad.

They are really varmit guns at heart. Very fast, very flat, very explosive with most bullets. If you want to keep fur or meat it's not really the best gun! Would probably just explode a fox with a typical load. Rabbits.... you'd be lucky to find half of the parts. On the other hand, carcass disposal is simplified.

I have shot one deer with mine, with a 53gr. Barnes X bullet. That is probably the toughest expanding .22 bullet you can find. .22-250s are moderately popular in Texas for deer hunting, our deer are small and most are shot from stands which allows very precise shot placement.

Haven't downloaded one yet - never felt the need. I would guess if you moved to some of the heavier bullets, say 55-63 grains, and didn't run them full blast, it might be more managable as a game rifle. All depends on the size of the game, for an animal much over 100 pounds it doesn't seem like a real good idea to me, personally.

You can use some of the powder that you have, H4895 should work at least with some bullet weights.

A .222 or .223 will burn a lot less powder, for what it's worth. Don't know if there is a meaningful difference in brass price between them all for you.

Hope this helps.

· The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
39,117 Posts
Don't want the meat, and don't need the fur, shoot them with one of the plastic-tipped 40gr. bullets at about 4,000fps and just try to stop smiling!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.