Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone i have what seems like a common question but no definite answers to it. I have 2 .22s im wanting to put flash hiders on (for looks) and cant find any info on threading them. I live in the middle of know where with no machine shops near me. Both barrels are measured at .640 inch near the muzzle. Can i thread these for 9/16-24 threads? Whats the max and min diameter for common barrel threads? Please assist thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,352 Posts
1/2-20 by .500 long.

·
Premium Member
14,352 Posts
You're right. The thread is 1/2-28 x .500" You'll need a lathe no matter what you do to thread. The thread has to be concentric with the bore and not the OD.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seen on on cnc warrior they have barrel alignment tools but i just dont know which direction to go as far as what thread pitch i can use. Getting barrel threading service is out of the options. Not paying 75 to 150 to thread a gun that cost that much.

·
Premium Member
14,352 Posts
Well, on most guns the barrel has to be dismounted from the receiver, set up in the lathe, threaded and then re-crowned. By the time you ad up barrel vises, action wrenches and machine tools, it can't be a cheap job and the 'smith stay in business.
I admit it's much different to thread a 10-22 than a center-fire, but still an hour job.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand that being a gunsmith myself. The only tool for this type of job i dont have is a lathe. I looked up cnc's thread chart and the said the max diameter for the 5/8-24 threads is .640. Has anyone tried this?

·
Premium Member
14,352 Posts
I'm really not getting what you're wanting to do. Without a lathe you can't thread to any size and have an index shoulder and necking cut and no way to re-crown either. If you want decoration just epoxy it on.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If I understand correctly, you're considering running a thread die down on the barrel. If that is the case, then maybe, but it would likely be a bear to turn as you are shaving off an extra .008 per side. Addittionally, you will have partial threads at the back end (away from the muzzle), so you will likely have threads showing even if you bind on them with your nut.
You dont need to worry so much about concentricity with the bore for a flash hider, but if you were looking to put on a compensator, brake, or supressor this could be an issue depending on th ID of the barrel extension, etc.

On the bright side, if you cobble them up, you can still have them turned for a 9/16 thread. ;)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,133 Posts
Don't waste your time. Flash hiders are somewhere between 'useless' and 'severely annoying,' depending on the amount of muzzle blast they generate. Why screw up a perfectly good gun? Mall ninja / gun shop commando crap, at best.

Up to you, I suppose... but by the time you buy a lathe, you could have bought several more guns ;)

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
What are you intending to do with the front sight? These guys are right, do the job correctly or leave it alone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the late replay. The flash hiders are only for looks im really who would need to hide a flash on a .22 lol. But im about $4000 short of getting a lathe. So yes i plan on trying the thread and die. I will adjust the die to the max and it should clear it. Ill be using the 5/8-24 threads because i found i can get the flash hiders im looking in those threads. I understand what yall are saying. But 1. Im NOT doing this for tactical reasons only for looks. 2. There is more than one way to skin a cat. I am one of 2 gunsmith in a 150 mile radius and neither of us have a lathe. I do alot of my machine work with drills, files, dies and taps. But thanks for the insight i do appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I have been without my lathe for about two years, and I feel NAKED! I moved, and when the lathe was delivered, it was placed on the floor of my garage---Without the bench to support it! The bench was delivered two days later, but not before my dogs "stripped" the wiring off my bench lathe (without bench)! And I have no idea when someone will be kind enough to bring a shop crane by to lift the lathe, and put it back on it's bench! Then, I'll get to rewire the thing! I know,--- It only takes money (lots of money) Like I said-naked! If you are a gunsmith, then you need a lathe.

·
Premium Member
14,352 Posts
Wow!! If I was closer I'd organize a lathe raising! You are right. Without a lathe a gunsmith is a parts changer with most of your capabilities moot.

I made a bolt lock-detent for a PM Ent. Model 70 safety this morning. I could have done in drill rod with a file on a drill press and then heat-treated it, but it sure was nice to set up the 5C collet index spinner on the surface grinder and make one from a pre-heattreated dowel pin instead. The new one is better than the old one, but just a rough guess of tools and equipment used for that one part that might weigh ten grains---About $4000 invested in 40 year old tools.

When I left Florida in '76, my best friend shook my hand and told me he hated to see me go to Colorado but it felt great to know that he'd NEVER have to move that #@&^% lathe again!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts