Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My club has a weekly bullseye pistol league competition. I'm an old fogey with poor vision and poor manual dexterity, but I want to participate.:rolleyes: Most members shoot a RUGER which I know is a very nice gun, but it is too difficult for me to field strip, lubricate & reassemble, so I've given-up any thoughts of buying a RUGER. (I own a GLOCK 17 which I LOVE and a compact 380ACP 1911 which I hate.)

1. I am currently undecided between buying a S&W 22A, a Browning Buck Mark Camper, or a Baretta NEOS). ... I'm not concerned about the cost differences. What gun should I buy?

2. I will mount a good Red Dot sight on it. Almost all of the shooters in our league are using a tube-type sight. Because I have virtually zero vision in one eye, I wonder if an open Reflex sight might be better for me. ... I'm not too concerned with the cost of the sight.

3. Knowing my situation, which Red Dot sight would you recommend?

4. I've been looking at the ULTRADOT MATCHDOT 30mm sight, but since it does not have an integral Weaver mounting platform, it requires mounting rings to attach it to the pistol. I wonder how much difficulty I'll have in attaching it.

Thanks for your advice:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a Ruger. If I didn't have it my next choice would be the Browning. What I didn't like about the Browning was there are 2 or 3 small screws you have to take out to remove the barrel and they are easy to lose. The Ruger was a lot easier to re-assemble than I thought. The trick is to install the magazine when trying to put the main spring back in and everything will line up like a dream. It would have been nice if Ruger would have included that in their directions.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
JerryB,

Hang in there, the RUGER is not a big thing to strip and reassemble.

Just go to RIMFIRE Central and there are folk who will walk you through the very simple process.

Seems like there was also something about it on youtube.

I have a RUGER Mark II slabside that would be great for your competition.

I call it my MOGH (minute of grouse head) gun, as with the 2X Leupold I have mounted and ammo it favors, it will put 10 shots in to a ragged hole at 25yds. Thats is off the bench of course.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
117 Posts
Jerry did you ever think about buying a 22 conversion for your Glock? Probably not much of a price difference. A couple of guys that shoot with have them for their 1911's.

·
Banned
68 Posts
I've got a Browning Buckmark...Not sure what the model is..looks sort of like a bull barrel with flat sides.
Love it..Very Accurate!!
Terry

·
Registered
42 Posts
IMO get the BUCKMARK with a ultradot 30mm red dot , the bases are avaliable to mount the scope some BM come with a base already installed.
been shooting BE since 1975 and reached High master class in 1989 and im still shooting but have dropped to master class the past couple of years ! as i now have too much shake to shoot high slowfire scores but my timed and rapid are still ok .
I use a Hi Standard Victor with custom Herret target grips with a Aimpoint red dot with a base from Calfornia gun works and the barrel is magna ported , but it only really helps on rapid fire .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Buckmark for the wife many years ago and have been really happy with it. I just recently put a rail and Mueller Quickshot on it. I plan on putting another Quickshot on my son's rifle soon. Takedown may be a little tricky with the Buckmark since you will have to take off the optic before you can remove the rail/slide to clean it. I would think it would zero ok when you put it back together but I am not sure. I haven't cleaned mine since I put the optic on. Buckmark is a fun and reliable little gun.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'd get a top end, or whole pistol, from Marvel Precision.

It will outshoot any of those you mention and is a bargain if you have a good 1911 already on hand. They have several sighting options, so you'd have no problem with the desired red dot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts