Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lapped morana a couple of handguns, but none in .22. I'd like to do a revolver and 2 rifles (LR and WMR). Any tips?
Not for nothin', EVERY gun maintains and performs significantly better after fire lapping - far out of proportion to the minimal time required to do it!

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
RalphWolf,

For your rimfires, just use CCI CB Longs for lapping loads, both for the LR's and the WMR.   Yes, I know about the case size differences and the Mag, but for lapping purposes, there isn't anything else out there that will shoot at low enough velocity to allow proper fire-lapping.   The CB Longs have a neat "scraping groove" on them that holds the lapping compound well.   Simply put some lapping compound on your thumb and index finger, and roll the lead bullet of the CB's between them, filling the grooves ahead of the case with lapping compound.   Lightly wipe off with a paper towel, to remove lapping compound from the exterior surfaces so as to prevent scratching the chamber when loading the lapping round.   Then fire!

This is rather over simplified, and I went into it in great detail in our Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide.  It covers the subject in depth, not only for rimfires but centerfire firearms of all descriptions.

<a href="www.beartoothbullets.com/book" target="_blank">Order <span style='color:maroon'>Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide</span></a>

Hope this helps!  I'm glad that your other lapping projects have proven to be rewarding!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 2 of 2 Posts