Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone;
First time on the shooter's forum. I am trying to work up a load for my 22 hornet using Unique Powder, Nosler Ballistic Tip 40 grain bullets in my TC Super 14 Pistol. I have CCI SP Primers no. 500. I cannot find Unique loads in any of my load books, Speer, Hornady, or Nosler. This is the only powder that I can find locally right now so I bought a lb of it to try. I am going to go crazy if I can't load something for it soon. Does anyone have suggestions? I greatly appreciate the help.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
5.0 grains ofUnique is sort of a universal load in every caliber from 22 Hornet to 30-06.
I load the 55-grain Lyman 225415 go bullet ahead of 3.0 grains og Unique for my 10” barrel Contender. This load gives me between 1,240 fps and 1,250 fps.

5.7 grains of Unique works fine in my 21” barrel with 40-grain Noslers.This load gives me about 2,180 fps.
There is a lot of older Lyman data for Unique in the hornet. I’ll look up a bit for you.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Never seen any loads using Unique powder in that cartridge. If memory serves the fastest powder I've seen loaded is 2400, N110 and AA No. 9. Usually IMR 4227, WW 680, AA 1680 and LitGun are the powders recommended. H110 and WW 296 have been used with some success.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Welcome to ShootersForum, Mossyback.

There are some real 22 Hornet pros who will probably be along shortly to give you their exact recipes, but I'll try to get you started.

First, I think Unique is a bit on the fast side and if I owned a 22 Hornet I would just wait until I could find some Li'l Gun or H110, but if you really want to give the Unique a try, here is what QuickLoad suggests. USE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WITH DISCRETION AND FOLLOW SAFE RELOADING PRACTICES!

40gr Nosler Ballistic Tip .224"
CCI 500 SP primer
Cartridge OAL - 1.800" (very important...if shorter OAL, lower powder charge)
Unique powder: Starting load 4.5gr -- MAX LOAD 5.5gr

Use this information at your own risk, but Quickload suggests these loads will give pressures of 29,500psi with 4.5gr and 43,131psi with 5.5gr. Please work up to the higher charges in .2gr increments and watch carefully for pressure signs. Next time, be sure of the load before you buy the powder! :)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
The 49th edition of the Lyman reloading handbook lists cast bullet Handloads for the 22 Hornet and K-hornet. The 4th edition cast bullet handbook also lists Unique loads for the hornet. Using the 55-grain cast bullets 3.0 grains is a starting load.
Many powders faster than Unique are commonly loaded in the hornet for subsonic and low velocity loading using both jacketed and cast bullets. Several members of the Cast bullet Association have posted some remarkable results using fast powders and heavy cast bullets in the contenders.
I wish I had a 14” barrel. I have a 10” barrel with a 6x adj objective target scope. I have a fine cross hair with a 1/8th minute dot reticule. When I do my part this is an accurate little barrel but I have found case preparation to be important for consistent accuracy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The OAL in the Nosler book says 1.723. The Ballistic Tip bullets (40gr) are sticking way down in the case. I put them 1.875. Still chambered fine. Should I still go by the OAL specs? I guess I could play with that and see how it works in different seat depths.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Would also start at 3gr. Can't equate cast bullet data to jacketed bullets all the time, but starting at 3gr. of Unique and moving upwards (as the load seems to merit) works well. Never going to be a power house with that powder (or any power for that matter) so may as well go for accuracy.

Way back when, had a thing for the old 10" octagon barreled T/C's (I still like the look of them...even the odd shaped wood stocks so long as the recoil is reasonable). Tried the 3gr. load with 40gr. Sierras, moving up in small amounts and testing for accuracy. Looked like 3.8gr. had the edge, so that's where I stayed.

Later on, had a 16" barrel and wood stock (and a nice old K6 with a 1/2MOA dot) mounted on that carbine. Still liked that 3.8gr. load, but by then was casting .22 slugs and seldom used jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have always wanted a TC pistol. I found this one at the Kesselring Gun
Shop in Burlington Washington 2 years ago when I was out there visiting relatives in Darington Wa. Bought it with a 45/410 Super 14 barrel and purchased the 22 hornet Super 14 barrel and also bought a 41 mag Super 14 barrel. Never shot the 41 yet. I don't like the 45/410 barrel and I am just, as you noticed starting to load the hornet. I don't have a scope for either. Not able to afford one yet. Open sights with the hornet it is shooting sweet for me. Hope to purchase a 7-30 waters Super 14 to use deer hunting next year. Preferably with a scope.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
My 10" T/C was long enough ago that the octagon barrel was held on by a spring-ball detent (like some shotgun fore ends) and i was hot-stuff with a 2.5X phantom scope. Had one of the octagon barreled .44mags as well; well remember getting my exercise in walking down range to pick up the fore end every 2nd or 3'rd shot (firing the old Norma 240gr "Carbine" load). The 30-30 (another 10" Octagon) didn't recoil nearly as badly as the .44 but with some factory loads, tended to set fire to dry grass when fired prone.

They've come a long way from those skinny 10" barrels and the original oddly shaped wooden grips,

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Our 10” barrels are all bull barrels and are all hold overs from the mid 1980’s when we shot a lot of Contender loads. The only octagon barrel we have left is a .45 Colt barrel - remains my wife’s favorite contender barrel.
My Dad still has a 45 ACP octagon barrel, he used to shoot this one quite a bit but other cartridges sang their song.
Start off with a cheap 2.5X pistol scope, the BSA will do the job to get you started. Simmons used to sell a 2.5 -7X pistol scope that was a sleeper for the price. You may find one at a gun show. Both of the cheap scopes will tolerate quite a bit of recoil from a center fire cartridge. An air gun will kill them quickly.
To start off your 7-30 reading google Rocky Raab and read his article on the contender.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Thanks for the kind plug, William. Here's the link http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/7-30.htm Be sureto use Firefox, as IE will scramble the pages.

I've never used Unique in the Hornet because velocity would be very low even at maximum pressures. It's be REALLY easy to blow a primer or worse trying to get more than rimfire-level speed.

LilGun is THE powder for the Hornet. There are a few tricks to reloading it due to the very small case and very thin brass. Nothing that can't be overcome, though. The key tips are using a very mild primer, partial sizing of the case, and using the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
I agree about better powders and higher speeds, but the guy has the gun.... evidently only has Unique...and the urge to load and shoot. If he's careful not to double charge a chase and sticks to low vel. loads, should have a bunch of fun until his powder choice/velocity range changes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks William for the info for the 7-30. I just finished reading the article and I did have to download Firefox to view. Rocky it was to say the least impressive. Thanks for all your contributions. That is why I'm impressed with the 7-30 Waters. If anyone has a Super 14 laying around collecting dust that the rifleling is not shot out I would be interested in taking it off your hands. As I said earlier I don't like the 45/410 Super 14 barrel, It came with the gun. I'm more interested in varmits & deer rounds. I have a Tikka 270WSM that is great for deer. Still working out that perfect load for it. Right now it is 130gr bst with 59grs of IMR4350.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Rocky’s article is the only good article on the 7-30 available on the web. All others I have seen are simply a re-work of some other write up.

Load your 45 Colt with bulk cast bullets to 700 fps or so and you will more fun busting clay birds on the dirt bank than you might imagine. My wife likes the Colt for the big thump the bullets make when they hit the bank.

I have a co-worker who claims the 270WSM is the most accurate hunting cartridge ever invented. I have seen him shoot some very small groups at 100- and 200 yards with his Winchester - so for him, it is!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Geez, guys, I'm honored.

Mossyback, go ahead and load some low-speed rounds with that Unique. I wouldn't push it past 5.0 grains myself. They might turn out to be useful loads for small game, something to remember in years to come!

For full-power stuff, keep an eye out for some 4227, Accurate #9, Accurate 1680, H110/W296 or the best of the bunch: LilGun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys;
Still piled up in snow here 12 in and still coming down. What is the largest caliber Super 14 barrel that is made for the TC Contender? Just wondering. I am favorable to the 7-30 waters of coarse, but wondering if anyone else has a favorite deer caliber. Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't want to hijack, but what is the opinion on the Hornet for coyotes. I would be around 3000 fps with a 40 grn v-max.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Hey guys;
Still piled up in snow here 12 in and still coming down. What is the largest caliber Super 14 barrel that is made for the TC Contender? Just wondering. I am favorable to the 7-30 waters of coarse, but wondering if anyone else has a favorite deer caliber. Thanks
As far as standard offerings from T/C, that would probably be the 45/70, but JD Jones, of SSK Industries, has built some absolute wrist-breakers for the Contender, like his 375JDJ. If you think a muzzle-brake is loud on a 24" magnum rifle, wait til you try it on a 14" pistol barrel! :eek:

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
As long as we've settled the original issue ...

I think that the 45-70 id indeed the largest caliber (or cartridge) you can get from T/C. There may be something larger from a custom builder, but I doubt it. The Contender is limited to a given diameter at the breech and even the low-pressure 45-70 is pushing things with the amount of steel left outside the hole!

The largest I own is a 375 Win. It isn't terribly vicious, but in all the years I've owned it, I've had exactly one guy ask to try it at the range after they've seen it shot. It comes up and back right smart launching a 210-gr bullet at 2000. I currently have the whole package for sale, as I don't intend to hunt elk with it any more. PM if anyone has interest.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts