Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am loading a lyman cast 44 gr rn bullets for the hornet. Do any of you have a powder prefrence and are loading the same bullet please reply with results.

I am currently using the max of 6gr of 2400.It does not fill the case up like I would like to see. I am wondering if that is my inconsistancy problem.

Steve

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Try 6.0-7.0 grains of SR-4759 or 4.0 grs of UNIQUE. Use Small RIFLE primers. On the Unique loading you should place a pea size bit of cotton to hold the powder next to the primer for best results. Also you should "Gas Check" your 44 grain cast bullets.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Been loading same bullet using SR-4759 powder dropped by #14 Little Dandy rotor which is same used with AA1680 for 40gr jacket bullets. Also have used AA5744 powder but can't find the load data at the moment.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Been loading same bullet using SR-4759 powder dropped by #14 Little Dandy rotor which is same used with AA1680 for 40gr jacket bullets. Also have used AA5744 powder but can't find the load data at the moment.
To tell you the truth; I'd had MUCH better luck with accuracy using 40-45 grain "Hornet" bullets, & using 4.0 grains of UNIQUE or 6.0-7.0 grs of SR-4759, then with any cast bullets, when developing light loads.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I do use gas checks on my cast bullets for the hornet.
When I used any cast bullets for my rifles; I always found that Hornady Gas Checks were far better than Lyman's. I found that the Lyman Gas Checks fell off the bullet as the exited the barrel, resulting in poor accuracy. The Hornady Gas Checks are "clamp-on" type and stay on the bullet.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Thought Lyman also claimed there's were crimped on the bullet base. Have shot varmits where judging by end results there was a seperation of gas check from the bullet (two holes in varmit). Don't recall which were used -- Lyman or Hornady.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts