Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you all please tell me the pros and cons of a 22 Hornet vs. a 22 k Hornet. I'm putting together a T/C Encore Hornet handgun and need to make a decession of which to use.
Thank you.

stephen b

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Stephen,
The 22 K-hornet provides a slight increase in case capacity and velocity over the standard 22 Hornet. The brass for the K Hornet will prabably require less trimming after it is formed, which is something of a benefit if you plan to shoot it alot.

The downside of the K Hornet, or any improved or wildcat cartridge, is that you will have to fireform your brass. Count on one firing to make your brass. The dies will cost you a little more also. The resale of some non-standard calibers can also affect resale of your barrel/handgun.

That being said, the case forming for this round is as simple as it gets and it is so common that I don't suspect it would hurt your resale too much. It's really up to you. If you want something "different" that isn't going to cause you too much hassle, this is one of the easier non-standard cartridges to cut your teeth on.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Stephen,

All that KciH says is true and MORE!
I have found the K-Hornet far easier to load accurate ammunition for. My only explanation is that slightly more case capacity makes the case less sensitive to slight differences in powder charge weights. I have three Hornet barrels for my Contenders, one 10", one 21", and a K-Hornet from the Fox Ridge shop. I also have past experiance with several rifles in the caliber.
Once fire formed I have only neck sized for the K-Hornet. Loaded sensibly the K-Hornet brass lasts a very long time, my cases losses are generaly from loose primer pockets. When loading maximum loads for the standard Hornet you will break a few cases at the web, (they pull right out with a .22 caliber brush on a pistol rod). I have never had a K-Hornet break. I am talking about maximum published loads for the standard Hornet, not any real high pressure stuff.
Check your library for a copy of Charles Landis Twenty Two Caliber Varmint Rifles to get you started. then Look for Practical Dope on the .22's by F. C. Ness, good basic Hornet and K-Hornet information. Remember that post 1950's brass has less capacity than earlier brass so the load data is not useful, just the general information. There is plenty of current load data availabel on the web. Try Hodgdon 'Lil Gun first.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hornets

KciH and Slim,
Thanks guys for the good info and advice. I think that I will go for the K hornet. A trip to the library is also in call for. I have heard from more than one source that Hod.little gun is a good powder for this cartridge.
Thanks again.

stephen b.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hornet

Howdy from Omaha,
Agree with both KciH and Stephen b. Liked my hornet when it was standard, love it after I K'd it. L'lgun does well. If you are working up 2400 work it up slow and start on the low end. Today's 2400 is a bit faster than the older stuff was, and old data may be more heavy on the pressure side than you want. Have a 200 yd kill on a P-dog with the K and the little Hor 35 gr pill over L'lgun, but can't remember the charge. On a calm day, think that it is capable of 200 and maybe even 250 with a bit of luck. Let us know how yours turns out.
Paul

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K Hornets

Thanks Paul,
I have a T/C pistol frame and K Hornet barrel on order and I'm haveing a hard time waiting till I get the hardware.
I'll have to start looking for a 200 yd. range to sight in. Right now all I have is 100 yds and a lot of calculations. With a pistol frame and a 15" barrel I might not be able to reach quite that far. I'd be happy with small groups at 100 yds.
Take care and thanks for the incouragement.

stephen b.

·
Banned
548 Posts
The K-Hornet will actually headspace on the improved shoulder...hence the reduced case length growth and elimination of ruptured webs. In additon, this will center the bullet in the bore axis and greatly improve accuracy. Don't forget Lil Gun powder in the hornet...it drives 45 gr bullets 2800 fps @ 31,000 CUP in a 24 inch bbl in the unimproved version. The low pressure is an indication that more case capacity will really pay off, and a K-hornet should easily top 2900 fps in a 24 inch bbl.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K Hornets and short barrels

More and more good info,
Does anyone think that I might have a hard time stabelizing a small, 45 grain, high speed bullet, in a 15" barrel. I hope that the K Hornet will make an outstanding long range short gun. Anyone have experience with this caliber in a hand gun?
Thanks.

stephen b.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Optimal twist rate for the 40 gr hornet at 3000 fps is 1 in 15, and at 2500 fps 1 in 13.7. Compare this to the twist rate in your barrel, and don't worry about having too fast a twist rate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts