Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a favorite load for coyotes in 22 Mag. Id like to hear some details if possible. Im in a rimfire shotgun only county so i cant use center fire or it would be a 204 or 223 for me. Just picked up a Marlin 982 Vs and it shoots winchester super X jacketed hollow points pretty good but i dont know how they would do on coyotes. Just picked up remington premier v max ammo and thats next on the range list. Most shots are 60 yards and under. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
103 Posts
id say scope it and limit your shots to 50 yards.winchester HPs will kill 1 clen with a HEAD SHOT.i would take only headshots if it was me.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
In ballistic gelatin testing the Winhester 40 grain JHP performed really well.
http://www.brassfetcher.com/22MagnumVariousRifle.html
Check out "Shot 5" - 13.5 inches of penetration and .311 expansion. Brassfetcher's favorite.
My opinion is that a .22 mag properly placed is "enough gun" to kill a coyote with typical "boiler-room" shots - obviously a head shot is better but much harder. I am surrounded by so many and they are now mating and noisy.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am not a big fan of a coyote,in fact I can't stand the *************,I know the animal rights people will frown on me,but I really don't care.I have seen too many fawns,rabbits,quail, and any other small game you want to mention fall prey to them. I keep a .22 mag. with FMJ always handy on our lease,and in my shooting house during deer season a good gut shot and they'll go far enough so you won't have to worry about dragging them off. Don't try to raise any chickens anywhere there are coyotes either,they will clean you out.Also a good mouser house cat seems to disappear........

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody have a favorite load for coyotes in 22 Mag. Id like to hear some details if possible. Im in a rimfire shotgun only county so i cant use center fire or it would be a 204 or 223 for me. Just picked up a Marlin 982 Vs and it shoots winchester super X jacketed hollow points pretty good but i dont know how they would do on coyotes. Just picked up remington premier v max ammo and thats next on the range list. Most shots are 60 yards and under. Thanks for any input.
You'll get the best results with the soft-point ammo. Far better penetration and more accuracy to boot than you get with the V-Max, either 32 or 40 grain. CCI GamePoint has always been my favorite.

And it's not just my gun either. Everybody I know and have read about consistently gets better accuracy with the soft-point ammo than they do with the V-Max, regardless of who makes it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts