Shooters Forum banner

22 Mag Mystery

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  ribbonstone2 
I read your post this morning and just had to compare a .22 mag to a .38+P load. Now, I know first hand of deer being taken with the .22 mag and the .22 LR, but I don't believe they measure up to a heavier caliber. Anyway, this is what I set up, and the results.

Medium was Duct Seal Clay temperature soaked at 100 degrees F. I keep my storage box at that temp so any comparisons I do won't have another variable thrown in. DSC approximates dense muscle tissue as near as I can tell.

Rifle for the MaxiMag was 24" barrel Savage Model 24. Velocity was 1980 +/- FPS.
.38+P was 125 grain Ranier PHP bullet clocking 976 FPS.

Muzzle Energy: .22 - 348 Ft Lb
.38 - 264 Ft Lb

Penetration: .22 - 2.1"
.38 - 2.9"

Wound Channel: .22 - 4.1 cc
.38 - 14.8 cc

Weight retention: .22 - 97%
.38 - 99+%

For defensive purposes, I guess I'd rather have the bigger gun.

DC

Loader,

No, that wasn't a typo - it was 4.1 cc. The cartridge was CCI MaxiMag hollowpoint. It expanded quite uniformly - .380 at its widest, .369 measured turned 90 degrees.

I'm sure the full jacket would give better penetration, I just don't have any to shoot right now.

The other number to throw into the picture is how many hits scored. A hit with a .22 beats a miss with anything else.

DC

Mr Harris

I don't know who Marshall or Sanow are, but if you contend that DS clay cannot be used to COMPARE the two different loads, I guess that I would have to disagree. Granted, the simulation isn't perfect, but performance on flesh isn't the primary consideration, the relative wound-causing capability is.

DC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.