Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 22 Ruger Single Six (6") with the exchangable LR or MAG cylinder. I use Winchester LR with very good accuracy. But, I'm not having any luck with the MAGNUM cylinder. I've used different magnum brand ammunition, (Remington, Federal, Winchester, CCI) but each one leaves pieces of tiny unburned power. That causes the cylinder to rotate improperly and the ejector rod gets hung up. What's the deal? Someone told me the magnum round needs a longer barrel to burn the powder away. Well, DAHHH, why make a magnum cylinder for a revolver if that's the case. I hope someone can help me because a magnum round is much better on groundhog than the LR.

·
Super Moderator
9,521 Posts
The worst offenders are the hyper-vel. .22mag rounds with the light bullets (below 40gr.) but even the standard .40gr. loads leave some unburned powder behind. Best course is to try the various 40gr. loadings.

CCI use to load their rounds with a non-ball powder that gave much less unburned powder behind, but as of late have joined the others in using a slower burning ball powder...does give more vel. in a rifle barrel, but leaves a short barrel a bit littered.

Been shooing .22mag. hadnguns for a good while, mostly through a 6" S&W 48 and a 3" Charter Arms pathfinder. Had no real complaints until the last four years...the ammo seems to be more gearned to rifle shooters more than pistols shooters.

Had very good accuracy with the old Federal 50gr. loading...couldn't find a great use for the ammo as it won't expand worth a hoot and it's deep penetration isn't needed for small game....still, it burned clean and shot well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had no problem with a S&W M51 I had and now have a 651 that shoots all the ammo great. My M48 is another story however. After 2 cylinder full it begins binding up until I brush out the unburned powder from behind the ejection star. Why the 651 will shoot accuratly all day long without binbing and the K-Frame won't go three cylinders is unknown...sent the cylinder back to the factory. They stoned the underside of the star which helped some but it will still do it after a while. There has been no accuracy problems however with the M48. Have you had your cylinder allignment checked with the Magnum cylinder in the gun? Bob

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
AJ,

I have the same problem but my 22 lrs are trouble too. I went to the slower velocity loads and it helped but I still am not happy. I just bought a box of Winchester 22 mag loads to try. I put a scope on the thing so I could get some accuracy out of it but all it has done is show me how poorly it is shooting. She looks good though. I will try to post a picture.

Oh. I have had my best luck with the remington target and federal lightening and the cci standard velocity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts