Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger 96/22 in 22mag and previously a Browning slide tube magazine. Following is some external welocity data and opinions. They were and used on the usual varmints dog size and below. Mostly over a spotlight. Some daylight work and occasionally small pigs.
Browning 18 inch-Winchester 40gr HP SP 5 shots Av 1820 fps ES 69FPS. 6 shot AV 1859 fps ES 111fps

Ruger 18 inch Winchester Power Point Copper Wash 40gr 5 shot AV 1749fps ES 52fps.
Winchester jacaketed 40gr HP SP
AV 1852 fps ES 72fps
PMC(made in RP) PREDATOR 40gr SP 1875fps ES 48Fps
Made in the Phillppines, Have seen this under many wholesalers names. 40gr HP SP
5 shots 1862fps ES 182fps.
PMC shot the best groups at 100yds. Also, for hunting the soft point had greater penetration. Was it the soft point with no hollow and /or a stronger jacket? Good on small pigs or shots at difficult angles.
Others were ok at 50 yds + but were perhaps just head shot capable at 100 yds. A big perhaps. My experience indicates it is a 100yd rifle. With good ammunition it has a built in reserve to get to say 110yds. Ok at night or relatively still days at i00 yds + the reserve if you wish to prove your skil !!!. Cross wind certainly pulls back the effective range. These observations are from a practical working rifle viewpoint.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It's interesting that you posted this, because I just picked up a revolver in 22 Mag (a Taurus 941SS5) and am eager to try some different loads in it. I am expecting lower velocities in the handgun, of course. I am hoping to be prepared for the same range of game you just described.

Heavier, less fragmenting bullets tempt me more. There are a couple of 40gr pointed soft points that interest me (Remington PSP and CCI GamePoint). Might try the Fiochi 40gr JSP. However, I found that Federal has a 50gr JHP that looks well constructed (Game-Shok), which I can't wait to try.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
22Magnum

UnCruel

How did your 22Mag handgun perform, any velocity readings ?
I have a Ruger SS Single six with the 22LR and the 22Mag cylinders. One has never got around to putting it over the chronograph. A rancher friend in times past ran both cattle and sheep. He had the same model Ruger and always carried it when working. If he had to put animals down or slaughter for the table he used FMJ on cattle. SP was ok on sheep. He often worked by himself and felt secure when carrying. He preferred concealed as he reasoned this could give him the advantage of surprise for close encouters.

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
I am a big fan of the .22 mag. I have never seen ballistic gelatin testing of the 50 grain Federal but would like to see how it performs. The testing I have seen favors the 40 grain Winchester JHP - as you can see the results are impressive for a small caliber - check out "Shot 5" Brass Fetcher's favorite
In a handgun even with short barrel you get around 14 inches of penetration and no expansion but the bullet "yaws" so you do get a larger than expected would cavity. All these four bullets tested in a revolver performed very much the same except for the wound cavity - again check out the Winchester 40 grain FMJ - it seems to be best. Out of rifle the Winchester 40 grain JHP is the way to go. I use both.
Handgun http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page1504.htm
Rifle http://www.brassfetcher.com/22MagnumVariousRifle.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.