Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a .22 mag hand gun and rifle and love them. They're great for small game and a jam jar will last all year hunting. Only problem is reloading doesn't go to well. So I was searching for center fire rounds that are about the same size but center fire. While searching I found the .22 mink, squirrel, and long snapper. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they differ I can't find to to much on them but from what I can they all seem to be about the same. Anything you know about it would be appreciated, and if you know of any other rounds that'd be great to thank you.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've heard of the first two but have no experience with them. They are based on shortening the 22 Hornet. Some discussion on the Saubier.com forum.
For what it seems like you are trying to achieve, it would be much simpler to get a nice 22 Hornet and load it down to 22 Mag velocities with cast or jacketed bullets, no?
I can't get a comparison photo to copy and paste, but I think this will link the address (?).
http://i.imgur.com/hw8nkDW.jpg?1

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think the problem with slowing down the 22hornet is that they are quite often barreled using a slow twist rate. I had a 22 hornet with a 1:14 twist and I was never able to get bullets to stabilize under 1900fps. I wanted a quiet load somewhere in between the 22lr and 22mag. I would buy the CZ 527 in 22 hornet in a second if it had a faster twist. Sure there is always the barrel swap, but I just cannot bring myself to swap a barrel on a rifle the I just dropped over 600 bucks on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the reasons I was looking at the mink and squirrel was the size of them. I like the idea of the small round, that and I could possible make a companion set of. I was in all honesty thinking of getting a 5.7 but I figured the hornet had a wider selection of rifles.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
From the photos in the link above, it looks to me that the Mink case would have close to the powder capacity of the standard (non improved) Hornet. It looks much like a shortened K-Hornet. The Squirrel looks like a much shortened K. I would think, of the two, the Mink would feed better from a clip, unless you are thinking a single shot rifle (?).
If you are still thinking of having companion rifle and handgun, Magnum Research chambered their BFR revolver in 22 Hornet with a 7.5" barrel. I have one, they are very accurate, but weigh a ton, since they were made on the same frame as the 454 Casull...lots of steel there around those small holes, but no recoil! Taurus also chambered their "Raging Hornet" in 22 Hornet, but it's even bigger with a 10" barrel. I have a "Raging Bee" in 218 Bee, which is nice, but not a holster gun.
I've loaded cast bullets in the mid teens in my two Hornet rifles, a Ruger No. 3 and a Ruger 77 Hornet, and don't recall having any stability problems, nice and quiet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Which bullet molds have you had success with loading to lower velocities? I have tried the lee bator bullet, but no dice for me on that one.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I've heard of the first two but have no experience with them. They are based on shortening the 22 Hornet. Some discussion on the Saubier.com forum.
For what it seems like you are trying to achieve, it would be much simpler to get a nice 22 Hornet and load it down to 22 Mag velocities with cast or jacketed bullets, no?
I can't get a comparison photo to copy and paste, but I think this will link the address (?).
http://i.imgur.com/hw8nkDW.jpg?1
I agree in that it would be more prudent to purchase a .22 Hornet rifle with a 1-in-14" rate-of-twist, and load it down. This is what I do with my own Ruger M-77/.22 Hornet rifle, and my favorite load is: 7.0 grains/ SR-4759/ 50 grain "High Velocity" .224" bullet loaded in a Remington Brand Case. Another good load (especially for slower twists 1-16" is 4.3 grains of Unique/ 40-45 grain "High Velocity" .224" bullet. These two loads are accurate and far less destructive than a .22 LR Hollow Point, .22 Magnum, or even the various .17 Rimfires.

·
Super Moderator
13,279 Posts
14" should work as long as the bullets are short and light. 16" works for 40 grain round nose lead, for example. But you can also order a barrel with a faster twist based on some other bullet you decide on, if you want it. Just take that bullet's dimensions and use the stability estimator on the JBM site and target a stability factor of between 1.4 and 1.7. The twist rate that gives you that at the expected velocity should do well with it.

I expect there to be limited information on the performance of these cartridges. That is a risk you take getting involved with any wildcat that hasn't got a large enough following for there to be some kind of track record for it. You can take software like QuickDESIGN and rework the Hornet in it to get some kind of case capacity and then export it to the QuickLOAD software to get some kind of handle on basic loading and performance. But that's around $300 worth of software investment and a significant learning curve. I just don't know anyone who has any of those cartridges to discuss them with.

If you look at the case exterior dimensions, the Long Snapper appears to be between the Mink and the Squirrel in case capacity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts