Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
674 Posts
You might want to rethink that HP suggestion.

If you hit a thick bone the bullet stops there, Get a nice 40 gr solid like the CCI mini-mag. They zip and get over 1200 fps out of the muzzle of a rifle maybe 1100 out of a pistol, just guessing here so don't hold me to a hard number. Plated solid bullet with over 100 ft/lbs of energy can and will penetrate a body deep and break through most bones.

I don't recommend a 22 of any kind for SD but if that was what you have then that is the bullet I would choose.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Velocity loss of HV rounds in pistols, especially small pistols, is substantial. Normal SV .22s are advertized at 1135 to 1200 fps. I chrono'd some CCI SV out of a S&W 317 two inch barrel. They did not make 800 fps. That's about 25% velocity loss. HV rounds do even worse as the powders are meant to burn in the longer barrels of rifles.
Pete

·
Banned
674 Posts
Same problem, light HP bullet that will break up on human bone. I'll use them on varmints but rabbit size and bigger I won't. Made a mess of the only rabbit I shot with them.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i use velocitor in my bath room gun[bathroom is way at the other end of this old house..]its a 6 inch sa revolver..6 inches is not enough to get the best outa the velocitor..but i like that bullet that speer, gold dot, came up with for cci..heck cci may own them .. i don t know..
i use to use the quick shot.. but opted for heavier 40 grn rnd for self defence.. if i have to use it..
lotta people carrying little berreta 521 semi loader around for self defence..i got my ccw permit with one.. scored 100 %..
wish i still had it ,now..but my barber needed something..
he opted out for the taurus lightweight 38..now he wishes he had my berreta back..you gotta practice enough to hit with it ..whether it be 357,or 22.. jmo slim

·
Banned
502 Posts
A friend of mine who does have his CCW license, carrries a small 22 LR in his right pocket instead of keys or coins. He says if some one wants to stick him up, he will first shot the perp in the nuts and when the perp bends over to clutch his blown away private parts, he will then stick the pistol in the perps ear and finish him off.

Nasty!

Jerry

·
Banned
674 Posts
CCI velociptor 40 gr or Remington Thunderbolt 40 grain will work. They work for coyotes at 50 yards at least and raccoons at the end of my 48' porch. I prefer the CCI but the Thunderbolts are just as fast and half the price.

·
Inactive
78 Posts
CCI velociptor 40 gr or Remington Thunderbolt 40 grain will work. They work for coyotes at 50 yards at least and raccoons at the end of my 48' porch. I prefer the CCI but the Thunderbolts are just as fast and half the price.

For the record....in my past experiences and still of late I have found the REMINGTON THUNDERBOLT ammo to be very unreliable in the form of 100% ignition. This when tried in rifles both semi-auto and bolt & Lever varieties as well as revolvers and semi-auto handguns. This was first noticed by me back around 1994 or so in my bullseye pistol as well as with others in my shooting group. I continued to buy Thunderbolt ammo of late cuz at times in these times it was all that has been available. It is now relegated to Plinking only where a dud is not important or life threatening. Last time out had 8 rounds out of 100 Fail to Fire in a Win 9422.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,788 Posts
That's your problem right there IBD, shooting Remington ammo in a Winchester. That never works.

RJ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.