Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all been awhile. any way i finaly go time to load some rounds for the 22 jet h&r. loaded 6 round with 110 and out of 4 shots with 40 grain .222 horndy bullets two hit the paper at 25 yards. didnt bother to shoot the other ones. will pull the bullets and use the .222 for the sling shot about as effective i bet. so now soon as i get time ill load some .224 bullets and go again. thanks for all the input in past. this is to bring yall up to date even if it is way late. been very busy with re do on the house but its worth it. all though i thought that i retired to have more play time hahahahahaha.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
So, you tried some smaller diameter bullets and they would not group at all? You're going to try some .224 bullets next, to see if they stabilize? I would suggest Reloder 7 or IMR-4227 as powders that might give better load density and performance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
22 rem jet

hi jason sorry for the delay but got to keep the better half happy. yes it was not good but i really didnt expect to much first time out. ok ill do the 4227 didnt want to but ill have to agree with you. ill load up about 6 see if this changes anything. i really expect to see this go in the right direction now.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Had a nice little one that was built on a Martini Cadet action/Douglas .224" barrel. Shot .224's just under 1 MOA (as expected as that was the right size for that barrel)... shot .223 Hornady and SPeer bullets crappy (like 2 1/2-3MOA).

So i had to try some factory .22 Jet loads and their .222" Rem. bullets.

Rifle evidently didn't know it wasn't suppose to like bullets .002" smaller than the bore, and shot groups in the 3's (that would be the .3's)

Still do not know why, just that with small cases it seems to pay off to try all the possibilities.

the other bit of advice is that that oddly shaped case does not burn slower powders quite like expected. Would think that there wouldn't be enough room to put enough WW 748 in that case to get into trouble. There is, but it may be becasue of the "funnel effect" of that long tapered shoulder. Martini's lock up quite solidly once "X" pressure is past.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Yes it did, but not past redemption. Blown primer eroded a chunk of breech face, snapped he firing pin, and needs a rubber mallet to get it to open up. Barrel and action checked out OK, repointed the firing pin, replaced the bushing on the breech face (the issue pin is kind of fat, so it was common to drill out the breech face to take a tool steel bushing, drill the bushing for a small diameter firing pin).

that oddly tapered case did weird things with powders slower than 4198... no real reason for it I can see other than a "log jam" as the slower powders were funneled into the barrel by the case's shape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did a search and found this old thread......

I have been a .22 Jet shooter for a while and have always wanted a rifle in this chambering.
Lucky to have found one on a small auction recently built by Flaig's on a small WW Greener Martini Action.

Just put a scope on it and ready to get her sighted in.....

I notice that RIBBONSTONE stated he had owned a similar gun.......doubt this is his based on his description, but sounds real similar!!

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Yours is much nicer looking than mine was.

Going to make some guesses about your rifle.
Am thinking from the pin/screw pattern and the slot,it at least started out as a take down rifle. Not real sure about the large pin...almost looks like a cross bolt safety....could be,they were somthing folks seemed to do to them,but haven'ty seen one in that location.

Likely was not a military trainer due to the Greener marking and take down. Seems the common ones in the U.S. are BSA's, have little Kangaroo on top, and some militarty/unit makrings (the old one I wrote about had a New South Wales (NSW) marking).

Would be fun at the range...doubt too many would immediately recognize the caliber,even though it's a pretty unique looking case....and there is a whole crop of lite weight .224"bullet today that we didn't have years ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yours is much nicer looking than mine was.

Going to make some guesses about your rifle.
Am thinking from the pin/screw pattern and the slot,it at least started out as a take down rifle. Not real sure about the large pin...almost looks like a cross bolt safety....could be,they were somthing folks seemed to do to them,but haven'ty seen one in that location.

Likely was not a military trainer due to the Greener marking and take down. Seems the common ones in the U.S. are BSA's, have little Kangaroo on top, and some militarty/unit makrings (the old one I wrote about had a New South Wales (NSW) marking).

Would be fun at the range...doubt too many would immediately recognize the caliber,even though it's a pretty unique looking case....and there is a whole crop of lite weight .224"bullet today that we didn't have years ago.
Flaig's was certainly a reputable builder and this one shows very nice workmanship. Not sure if his company built the stock, but I really like the design and shape. A very compact and comfortable feel to the firearm.

For my reloads I am using data from my Speer Manual #8 printed in 1971
I am loading 9.5 grains of 2400 powder behind a 40 grain.223 Sierra soft point bullet and the cases are new PPU brass. This pushes at about 1600 FPS in a S&W Model 53 with a 6" barrel.
It is the starting load recommended for the bullet/powder in the book.

Will see how this load performs in the rifle and secure a batch of .224 bullets to try.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Just observing,not complaining....it's a nice rifle, and I like the look of the rifle/scope combo....betting that rifle will shoot quite well.

Only factory rifle I'm aware of in .22 Jet was a verson of the H&R "Topper" (they made a mash-up of the model numbers that escapes my logic)....basically never see those, but at least one maker saw potential.

Lost all that data...would keep a note book back then... it didn't survive.

Do remember that by my measure (water) the case was real close to the volume of a .218 Bee. Close enough to let the Bee STARTING loads be the starting loads for the Jet. Not that there is a lot of loading data for the .218,but at least what is there is based on rifle barrel lengths.

Just do the old-school methods of working up a load rather than jumping on something that "should be"near max. Tend to be conservative about loading, not chacing after the last 100fps possible.

Didn't run into any trouble until the "log" powders(mentioned in a previous post)....the small grained powders, like 4227, progressed normally....4198 just didn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, and yes, I will proceed with caution.....I prefer to start low on the scale and work up as well.

Heading out this afternoon hopefully to start sighting in the scope, will report back on function/accuracy if I get time to do so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did not have much time dodging rain storms, but did manage to take the rifle out for a short test drive. Once I dialed in the scope I fired a few factory and handloaded rounds. Target was set at only 50 yards or so and I was not well rested, but the gun functions perfectly and had a group under an inch in hurried fashion.

Will get out with it and set up my bench on the next trip and see how she does at 100 yards and beyond.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts