Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an older thread here from 2008 concerning the poster asking if "Rimfire Quality is Going Down". No, I think just the opposite, and we are now in 2020. From my understanding and after a thorough tour of the Federal ammunition plant in Minneapolis, I got to see, up close and personal how Federal makes .22 rimfire ammunition. It's quite an involved process when you actually see how the cases are formed and then how the extruded lead wire is swaged into bullets.
After seeing the actual process, I can't help but forgive a failure, or three, involved with a bulk box of Federal Auto-Match .22 rimfire ammunition. It's really amazing to watch how finished cartridges stream off the line and into a huge dumpster of bullets, only to go to packaging and be dumped into those bulk boxes. It's amazing that any of those rounds make any noise, other than to complain about the abuse they suffer through along the way to our ammunition storage.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Yes, Modern Ammunition is made usually well, and always Safe in firing in most available firearms by industry agreements and corporate Legal guidance. Is is made to perform to the maximum limits? NO, it is mad to fire safely in all foreseeable uses in modern firearms.
It is NOT made to work in ALL possible firearms in ALL possible conditions of wear or misuse.

Chev. William

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,729 Posts
And it's all made the same way all over the world.

I can't figure out how, say Ely, picks out their match ammo from the tens of thousands that look just like the hundreds that get picked as "match ammo". Special machinery I'm sure is used in the making of "match ammo" and graduates to making "not match ammo" when it's worn out?

RJ

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And it's all made the same way all over the world.

I can't figure out how, say Ely, picks out their match ammo from the tens of thousands that look just like the hundreds that get picked as "match ammo". Special machinery I'm sure is used in the making of "match ammo" and graduates to making "not match ammo" when it's worn out?

RJ
From my understanding Eley does indeed run their "match quality" .22 rimfire on separate machinery and not the everyday production type. Inspections of the "target grade" are tested more often and again, using special equipment. Very time consuming methodology, and that's why the high cost and very low margin of profit involved.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,965 Posts
Love the waxy smell of Ely priming!
;)

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
;)
It's very addictive. One "sniff" of shooting .22 rimfire as a kid, and the sniffing memory lasts almost forever. Same with Hoppe's No. 9 solvent. Got my first date with a really good lookin' girl using Hoppes as cologne.

·
Premium Member
14,557 Posts
"Match" bullets, primers, and cases are made when the dies are new. At some point, new tooling comes in and the old goes to the 'regular line'. Worn out tooling is many times sold to new start-ups over seas. Discount, economy, imported ammo can be pretty rough.

·
The Shadow
7,481 Posts
"Match" bullets, primers, and cases are made when the dies are new.
....Or when the marketing Dept. gets a little too much leash.;)

Reactions: JBelk

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had to decide how much accuracy I wanted to pay for. I tried a number of different brands and types and found Eley had two that worked very well in my rifle. Match and Tenex were so close I couldn't tell the difference between the groups. The $14 to $16 cost for a box of 50 was going to cost a fortune between practice and competition. CCI high velocity gave up a bit of accuracy but would allow me to shoot the course without sight changes but the CCI Standard velocity was less than a penny more than the high velocity but cut the groups in half at 100 yards. The group size from my rifle hovered at 9/16" from the bench and I would be practicing off hand because that is the way the game was played. Small Bore Silhouette is fired standing with no support. I'm no expert but I reached AAA after three years of practice and competitions. I am struggling to get higher scores but I'll continue to work at it.

Note: my off hand group size is not hampered by the ammunition I am using.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Agiula smells like Eley; same great smell at a fraction of the price!
;)

CCI SV runs really well in most of my 22s.
but the CCI Standard velocity was less than a penny more than the high velocity but cut the groups in half at 100 yards.

The quality is excellent in both of these. I don't ever recall a dud in CCI or Aguila.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
There was program on TV where they went to the Eley factory and showed some of how they make ammunition, Tenex and a couple others are made in a special climate controlled part of the plant where camera's and the public are not allowed to see, pretty crazy.
That being said I have gotten several lots of Tenex in the last 5 years that were definitely not up to the accuracy standards one would expect from 18.00-20.00 box ammunition, I have 3 different 22's capable of sub .25 @ 50yds, one lot would barely group .5

·
Registered
410 Posts
Every rimfire rifle is different and likes different ammo. Some are less finicky but they will let you know when they don't like what you're using.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Occasionally I'll get an exceptionally accurate lot of ammunition for a gun, I'll save a couple of boxes of it and write the pertinent information on the boxes with the date, that becomes the standard for that gun. I have 3 boxes of Tenex that would basically group in an out of round hole at 50yds from my 40x, it's about 10 years old, at the time it was pretty fantastic but other lots weren't that much bigger. So after 3-4 cartons of Tenex that didn't group very well in the last couple of years I was worried the barrel had given up and shot a test group with my 10 year ammunition, it still groups in the low .2's. There's some people at my club that shoot Edge so I picked up a carton of it, the overall groups are better than Tenex but there's an occasional flyer which I can live with.
I guess the lesson is if you find a good lot of ammunition for a gun buy as much as you can allocate towards it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts