Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a old model single six im in the process of restoring. Its from the 60s and is a convertable so it shoots 22lr and 22mag but i still have been unable to find and cylinders for it... All the cylinders are for new models single six, Does anyone know if they will also work or if i can just have a new style single six cylinder and have it fitted for my gun... I also need the pin to hold the cylinder in as well. I can make one in the lathe if i had the dementions... If no one knows where to find one could i maybe get some percision measurements of the rod itself or maybe a drawing with it? I know sturm ruger will fit my gun for a new cylinder but i am just not to keen on sending my firearms out postal now adays, plus im not completely sure of the backround of the firearm and dont want the company to take it because of proper registration. Please let me know what i should do in this situation, THANKS brien [email protected]

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I have a set of Single Sixes purchased over a period of about 30+ years, two blued models, and a stainless. You can swap any cylinder into/out of any frame, and it works just fine.

As none of them were purchased in the same decade, it's an indication of how consistantly they have been made. You might be able to just order one straight up.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I have a Single Six with only a magnum cylinder and would like to get a long rifle one. Called Ruger and they will fit an new cylinder fairly reasonable. According to them cylinders have to be timed and just can't be swapped. I'm hesatating sending them my revolver, like you I don't trust the shippers and then have to deal with a dealer to get it back. The trigger has been tuned on this one and I really don't want them to make it "SAFE" again with a heavy pull.

·
Registered
4 Posts
cylinders should be timed. Not to say that you won't get away without it and maybe never have a problem but to be in sequence they should be timed to the revolver. This brings up the question of why the cylinder can be swapped around at different places in the revolver, but even though CNC makes all the parts now, talk to an old machinist who used an indexing head back in the old days and he can explain it to you, or better yet if you can go to a machine shop and see if they might have an old conventional mill with a Brown and Sharp indexing head set up and you will understand.
I would ask them not to do any work to the trigger as they really shouldn't want to as this would be extra work for them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought a Mag cylinder online for this NM, shaved .0005" off of the end and it works perfectly. The cylinder you buy needs to be as long as, or longer than, your present cylinder to prevent endshake.

The only poorly timed Rugers I've seen, came that way new from Ruger (BearCats). I had two of these that spit lead and "free-wheeled". Potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You don't have to bother with a dealer if you are just sending it back to the manufacturer. It will come right back to your door. Expect to pay around $30.00 to send it to the manufacturer though. The shippers really stick it to you for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ruger fixing things!

I have returned a gun to Ruger and had no trouble at all!! Call them and explain what you have. They sent me a box to return it and instructions. "Good Luck"

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I have a Single Six with only a magnum cylinder and would like to get a long rifle one. Called Ruger and they will fit an new cylinder fairly reasonable. According to them cylinders have to be timed and just can't be swapped. I'm hesatating sending them my revolver, like you I don't trust the shippers and then have to deal with a dealer to get it back. The trigger has been tuned on this one and I really don't want them to make it "SAFE" again with a heavy pull.
Yes, each is timed for your gun and it is luck to change them over. But Ruger will not like anything but a lawyer trigger. On the .22, it is even more important to get aligned with the bore so buying a take off can get you pickles. I dare not send my gun back, home made transfer bar and 1-1/2# trigger.
Ruger does not look at registration stuff. The gun can be through many owners. I don't know where you live that needs registration anyway. It will not change if you have it. All guns go next day air and Ruger might sent a box to take to UPS or Fedex prepaid. They are wonderful if you never get nasty. It seems the theme is how you talk to them. Trouble with Ruger and almost every maker is your attitude. Respect the lady you talk to and tell her she is wonderful and you will get far.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I sent a rifle to them for repair couple years back, the service was excellent. They didn't send me a box or shipping label, so I had to send it on my dime ($50), but they had it back in my hands in less than 2 weeks and had even added a couple upgrades, magazine and new stock. But return shipping was free, and the repairs were at no charge also.

Shipping was simple, I took it to FedX, they even helped me box it properly. And return shipping came right to my front door, it's not necessary to go through an FFL, well at least not in Arizona.

Great folks.

SMOA

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You Should Try Numerich Arms (gunpartscorp.com) for a replacement cylinder, OR try Ebay for a used one.

I have bought several cylinders (Replacement 8-shot .22 Mag ones I have re-bored to .25ACP and similar wildcats)
to fit my customized Ruger Convertible Single Eight in .25ACP and similar. It is NOT serviceable by Ruger as it is NOT in the Standard .22 Caliber As manufactured condition.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

1 - 10 of 10 Posts