Shooters Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
The OP did not specify whether all the ammo he tested was the same brand, had the same bullet weight, and whether the rifle was designed for use with shorts, longs, and long rifles. But, like any other rifle cartridge, you change any of the components (primer, powder, bullet) and you're going to get a different point of impact. I otherwise cannot explain why the, supposedly, less powerful rounds shot higher, but the OP should not expect to get the same on-target performance from the different cartridges. I'd say pick one and stick with it, or plan to re-zero if he decides to change the cartridge.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Well, good point, JDinFbg. I have no explain or theory for why my Wife's (she likes it when I capitalize her Role) Marlin 39a shoots CB caps and Stingers out to around 50 yards at 3/4 inch minute of feral cat. You just pick it up, throw a bead on it and bang it. Some very wise sages here have said more'n a couple of times, "it's because". I run with that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Way to treat a new member guys! 🙄

The different POIs could be explained because the slower bullets remain in the barrel longer as the rifle recoils, exiting when the muzzle is pointed higher than with the LR cartridges. This is usually more pronounced in handguns than rifles though.

Spot on!

·
Registered
473 Posts
The case length of CCI Stingers is a few thousandths longer than a standard .22LR. They function fine in most guns chambered for .22LR but can be problematic in some with really tight tolerances. I expect it can certainly cause POI shift as well.
When I was about 10 years old my Dad tried the stingers in a Remington Nylon 66, almost every one of them stuck in the chamber and he had to use the tip of his pocket knife to pop them out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Different types of rimfire ammo will impact differently on target just the same as different ammo and loads do in a centerfire rifle, and probably even more so in rimfires. Each .22 in my experience is a rule unto itself. Meaning that each has its likes and dislikes and just because one load shoots well in a particular gun, doesn't mean it will shoot in another. My suggestion is to find what it likes and stick with that particular load.or loads.

Just a note on .22 Shorts. I love .22 shorts and use them fairly often. I found that they can print pretty tight at 25yrds, but start opening up at about 35yrds and once they reach 50yrds they can group twice the size they do at 25. I think this could be remedied by a .22Short Only chambering. But they'll still shoot minute-of-renard out to about 75yrds and still whack hard enough for a quick, clean kill.

·
Registered
292 Posts
"I want to know where he found the Longs, haven't seen those for years."

I was going to ask the same thing. I see Midway has them backordered from CCI and Winchester. About 14¢ a shot.

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
May be the end of the .22 long….considering ammo production and being able to sell everything they can produce, may not want to waste production time on the lowest sellers.

Just not all that many rifles/pistols that were made specifically for the .22 Long...although the CB longs do seem to still sell well.

Looking for anything good to say about the .22 Long….won’t leave crust rings in a .22LR chamber….but no HP option.

Was a time when the .22 short got more respect….long ago, but folks once took it pretty seriously.

DSCN0963 by Robert Dean, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
15,887 Posts
The Winchester Model '73 was made in 22 short! I think 'longs' were pretty much replaced by standard velocity LR. The performance is the same.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Until recently, Browning made their spiffy SA in .22 short. I asked, but was never given an explanation of for whom that chambering was intended.

·
Premium Member
15,887 Posts
FN made the gun originally in short for the European market. Browning imported a few and now they bring a premium. I wanted one SO bad as a kid.
FN also made the Trombone in 22 short only but I've never seen one for sale.

·
Premium Member
15,887 Posts
Yeah, but no Trombones in Short. They were never imported to the US but some went to S. America.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts