Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only 22 short hollow points I've been able to buy locally are from CCI. They are very good, but are other manufacturers making them? Winchester and Remington used to, but I don't see them around my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most people I know don't bother with short hollow points, but they are much more effective on small game up to at least jack rabbits than most realize. I just happened to have owned a couple of Browning Auto "22 Short" rifles and learned by experience how they performed. It's one of those things that seems to defy logic but that light bullet traveling at that speed really does a job on small critters and they make hardly any noise at all. They used to be cheap and readily available too.

If anyone finds a brick or two of the old Remington or Winchester 22 short HPs, keep me in mind.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Not just the Browning, although that one was with a slow twist specific to the .22 short, were some other older guns that would function fine with .22 shorts...and accurcy, at least to 50 yards, makes them a good gray squirrel choice (although we don't have many 150foot trees, so most shots are well under that distance).

Friend left this rifle at my shop years ago, will all the parts in a shoe box. Turns out, there are at LEAST five ways to use all the parts and NOT have it function (may well be more ways, but as it worked on the 6th attempt, left well enough along rather than looking for more ways to make it not work). Had to make a new cocking handle (this model tends to break those rather often).

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone picture:

Gets a dose of CCI .22 short HP's and a walk in the squirrel woods a couple of times a year.
-------
He also kept a stash of .22 short GALLERY ammo. NOT the stintered iron "Rocket" ammo, but compressed lead dust (yeah...big time breathing hazard at shooting galleries). Basically compressed lead dust with some kind of plastic binder. Not the most accurate ammo (which kept the carnival owners from giving out too many prizes) but a lot of fun shooting hard objects that normally would be quite dangerous to shoot with a solid lead .22 short.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would love to own another Winchester 190 with the tubular magazine that shoots S,L, or LR. I liked the shorts for plinking around. As others have stated, they work suprisingly well.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I shoot an old Remington 550-1 that shoots short, long and long rifle and it shoots the "shorts" very well. I still have several thousand of the Remington short hollow points, CCI short hollow points and Winchester short hollow points, with the vast majority being the Winchester variety...

Like what already been pointed out, these relatively quiet, little short hollow points are devestating of squirrel and rabbit and their accuracy makes head shooting easy....

A

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw an ad in an old Stoeger catalog about the Remington 550. I was wondering how they did that...but it obviously seems to work.

Did we let the cat out of the bag?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
As heavy as the bolt and bolt spring is on this particular Remington 550-1, as compared to that of something like the Ruger 10/22, it amazes me that it spit out 19 of those 22 shorts, in any brand, as fast as you can pull the trigger and never miss a beat....

A

·
Registered
19 Posts
some guy named Paco makes a set of dies that put you a 22 short into it and then you use a hammer to put hollow point in the round .. look like it works well because the hollow is big and mean looking.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The case is setting on a dead flat surface during the operation. I grain of sand in the base could make it interesting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
some guy named Paco makes a set of dies that put you a 22 short into it and then you use a hammer to put hollow point in the round .. look like it works well because the hollow is big and mean looking.
Referring to the information from Cookieman, the Paco Kelly Acu'rzr appears to be an effective tool. I read about this product some time ago in the online magazine Gunblast.com. I am seriously considering buying this product. Check out the information. When you go to the site type in Paca Kelly Acu'rzr. I think you will find the article interesting and hopefully helpful.

LeverLover

1 - 16 of 16 Posts