Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to try my hand at using a handgun - S&W Model 17-3, for late winter early spring squirrels. I am also considering trying .22 shorts for competition. I have so many bricks of .22 long rifle that I never really considered the shorts. I would like to obtain information from anyone who has experience using the .22 short in a handgun for the above stated purposes.

LeverLover

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
I have never used them in a handgun but I have killed lots of squirrels with my dad's Winchester 73 22 short gallery rifle. This old Winchester 22 auto fires only 22 shorts and is a hoot to shoot.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have used them in my revolver to shoot pigeons in the barn. Killed them but didn't penetrate the barn roof. My Aunt used one in my single shot rifle to shoot a rat in her house in Rhinelander Wisconsin. She really hates rats but thought my uncles .270 or her .243 might be a bit much. I guess you can do stuff like that when you are on the police and fire commission.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I shoot shorts out of my prewarning Single six, hit a squirrel at about 75 yards with it after a couple tries but they shoot great and don't make very much noise. Short are just plain fun to shoot out of a revolver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
.22 shorts in an S&W Model 17

As a 30+ year bullseye shooter, who used only revolvers, I did alot of testing of brands of .22's in my 6" model 17. I thought maybe shorts would give me an edge in timed and rapid fire. My club had a ransome rest mounted on a 55 gal drum full of cement. Couldn't ask for a more solid base.

Anyway, I tried CCI, Federal, Remington, WW, and a host of other brands of .22 shorts in both tgt and high vel, firing each for three 10 round groups at 25 yds. I already had done the same with std and high vel loads in LR.

NONE of the shorts versions came anywhere close to the acuracy of the LR versions. I'm talking about 1 to 1 1/2 inch LR groups expanding to 3-5" in the shorts versions. One note, though. If you're looking for a quieter round, then try cb caps on the long version. They were in between the two in accuracy ( I liked the CCI version). They took alot of squirrels out my kitchen window without complaints from my neighbors.

Retfed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have used them in my revolver to shoot pigeons in the barn. Killed them but didn't penetrate the barn roof. My Aunt used one in my single shot rifle to shoot a rat in her house in Rhinelander Wisconsin. She really hates rats but thought my uncles .270 or her .243 might be a bit much. I guess you can do stuff like that when you are on the police and fire commission.
Thanks Old Grump for the info. concerning .22 short uses. I would also like to ask for good reference reading - besides the internet, regarding Libertarian political theory. I would definitely appreciate it.

LeverLover

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a 30+ year bullseye shooter, who used only revolvers, I did alot of testing of brands of .22's in my 6" model 17. I thought maybe shorts would give me an edge in timed and rapid fire. My club had a ransome rest mounted on a 55 gal drum full of cement. Couldn't ask for a more solid base.

Anyway, I tried CCI, Federal, Remington, WW, and a host of other brands of .22 shorts in both tgt and high vel, firing each for three 10 round groups at 25 yds. I already had done the same with std and high vel loads in LR.

NONE of the shorts versions came anywhere close to the acuracy of the LR versions. I'm talking about 1 to 1 1/2 inch LR groups expanding to 3-5" in the shorts versions. One note, though. If you're looking for a quieter round, then try cb caps on the long version. They were in between the two in accuracy ( I liked the CCI version). They took alot of squirrels out my kitchen window without complaints from my neighbors.

Retfed
Thank you for your response Retfed. I heard that shorts were quite accurate and were often used in Olympic shooting with particular guns - such as certain High Standards, made to shoot only the short. Could the discrepancy be shorts out of a revolver as compared to a semi-auto. You really got my attention due to the fact that you seem to be an experienced bulls-eye shooter. I am most interested in this. Any tips would be most welcome. I also would like to ask if .22 shorts foul the chambers more?

LeverLover

·
Registered
676 Posts
I knew 2 shooters who used 22 shorts in the Olympics for the lack of recoil in rapid fire matches. I don't know if they still do that or not.

I know the Free Pistol shooters used plain old PMC Match, standard velocity 22 LR ammo. Again this was over 30 years ago and I don't know what they use now. I used plain old Remington Green Box Standard Velocity Ammo for my matches and shot a lot of clean targets with them (100's with high X counts) but sad to say that ammo doesn't seem to be up to the same standards it used to be. Part of that might be me I am ashamed but compelled to say.

My hunting experience with shorts has all been at 50' or less using revolver and single shot rifle, I really don't remember using a target for anything but sighting in. Must have been accurate enough because at those ranges there were few misses.

By now you should have PM with link for Libertarians, hope it answered your questions.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Shorts will be very accurate in a gun chambered for 22 short. In a 22 LR chamber they must "jump" the gap made by the longer chamber before contacting the rifling. That reduces accuracy, AND will foul the front portion of the chamber if shorts are fired in the gun for very long. The fouling will be noticeable when trying to chamber another LR round.
As mentioned by Retfed, the CCI CB Longs can be quite accurate and quiet. I use them for squirrels on the back yard bird feeders. Very quiet, and accurate enough!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts