Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a few questions.I just got a ruger mkII in 220. I was wondering were I might go to find out when this rifle was made. The barrel on this gun is shot out pretty bad, where would you guys look for a new one? This gun is Target grey and I'd like it to match. It also has a muzzle brake. Last but not least, the trigger is so light that sometimes it won't fire. This gun looks really good and I got it for a steal......from a pawnshop. I don't know anything about this gun or who had it, how much they shot it ect... Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
459 Posts
http://www.shilen.com/ptcBarrels.html
http://www.douglasbarrels.net/palma/

Shilen makes some awfully nice barrels for a price that is rather reasonable. You can get them threaded and chambered some final machining will be required.

Douglas will do the entire operation for you, with a reasonable price tag as well.

I have built several riffles with Shilen barrels everyone of them a tack driver.
I have never used a Douglas, they are a hair more expensive and I never had an accuracy problem with the slightly cheaper Shilens.

Several ways to achieve the gray finish, bead blasting a stainless barrel, parkerizing a steel barrel or french graying it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have done it before and ether did an internet search, or use my Blue Book to do a serial number reference, I just can't remember which.

They are nice actions I have a couple, and also own a .220. A brake on a .220 Swift is odd.... someone must have thought it would make it more accurate. :p which points towards a varmint rig!
I would definately go with a blasted stainless barrel to get the look. I have never used Shilen, but I know that Hart, Douglas, Black Star ( don't know if they are available anymore), and Rock Creek barrels are top of the line barrels. If you want to do it on a budget, you can get a adams and bennett blank from midway. You'll have to see if they make a stainless in .223 if you want to have another .220, or get a chrome molly barrel and dura coat, or ceramic coat it.

My .220 is built on a trued up 98 Mauser and a Chrome Molly Adams & Bennett barrel. It shoots 1/2" 5 shot groups, and will outshoot many factory rifles. That's the only A&B barrel I have ever gotten, so I don't know about overall quality, but mine seems to be OK.

Most likely the reason the rifle was there is that it got shot out, which can happen in a month if you are out shooting varmints, especially with the swift. As for the trigger pull, that might be a good thing to get fixed. The MkII triggers are a little different than say a 700 or a mauser. It might have been messed with or the sear could have been filed down, which would require a replacement part. Best thing if you are not familiar with them would be to have a smith look at it. You can also get replacement triggers, but if you don't know what the problem is, it's best to find out first and then figure out what to do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would use a Hart bbl. get it fluted/bull 26-28" with the right twist for the wt. bullet you plan to use. Thats just me. They will bead blast the stainless for you to give the "brushed/matte" finish...........

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i'd also take a hard look at the e.r. shaw barrels as i've had and know of others who have had great luck with them. there are a lot of good barrel makers out there these days and you don't have to go with the most expensive or biggest name maker to get a great shooter unless your ego requires it.
i've used more brownells barrels (made by shilen) than anything else and really like them, never had a bad one. i recall a gunsmithing buddy about 10yrs or so back was using a lot of "lone star" barrels from shilen which are factory grade and very affordable and he was having great luck with those.
for what it's worth i plan to get a 250 savage bbl. for my model 7 in the next couple of months and it's going to be a #1 contour e.r. shaw barrel... i have complete confidence that it will shoot just fine!

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
From information and appearances Midway is phasing out the Adams and Bennett line of barrels. They are replacing them with E.R.Shaw barrels in kit form i.e. barrel, headspace gauges and barrel nut wrench. I did some research finding nothing about a "Adams and Bennett" barrel maker. Would appear there a barrel marketed by some maker as lower quality barrels? A place to unload there seconds? I have several and each appears to shoot okay. Also have several barrels from another maker and suspect they may be the maker of the A & B barrels. Don't have any positive proof just suspision from several things observed over a few months.

·
Registered
27 Posts
serial #

You can write Ruger and they will provide you with the date of mfg of your gun. I did this with a GB mini 14 and received a nice letter with the mfg and order history of that particular weapon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.