Shooters Forum banner

61 - 61 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
When I was a little kid, a friend of my father would bring his heavy barreled .225 Win out to the farm, and they would shoot targets at 400 yds. When I was 8 yrs old, I thought that was an astronomically long distance.

My father’s friend eventually wore out the barrel on the .225 Win. He bought a Ruger 77V in .220 Swift, and moved the Redfield 4X12 from the old .225 over to the Swift. He set the scope to 10X, and left it there for 10 or 15 years.

I think he used a 300 yd or more zero, so there was a little mid-range rise in the trajectory, but very little.

With the scope always on 10X, our friend had memorized every part of the trajectory on the duplex reticle (above and below line of sight) out to a great distance. He said he had become so familiar with the constant 10X reticle that he used it to estimate lead on running coyotes. He took many coyotes at 400 and 500 yds and beyond. Crows fell at 600 yds and beyond. I think he had learned to use the 10X duplex to estimate range, but the Swift shot so flat that holdovers at long range were minimal.

He was a good rifleman, and a good friend. He taught me to reload when I was 14 yrs old. I have thought of him often while reading this .220 Swift thread over the Memorial Day weekend.

61 - 61 of 61 Posts