Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,467 Posts
A 110 grain Vmax from the 300RUM is twice a 220 Swift, twice the bullet, twice the powder, twice the grin.

RJ

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
Old factory loads in pre-war Model 70s go through the chrony right at 4100fps.
Winchester brought out the Swift in '37 but then decided to 'replace' it with the .225 Winchester in '64. Bill Ruger revived the Swift in '67. We see who won the argument but the introduction of the 22-250 as factory in 1965 stole thunder from both of them and probably out-right killed the .225.
The long bullet/high BC/quick twist craze didn't seem to start until computer software programs became popular and 'paper ballistics' became the thing. The Swift is a natural for long bullets because they're built on long actions. I barreled a M77 Swift back to Swift with a 3 groove 1-7 Pac Nor barrel several years ago. It splats rock chucks with 55 gr Ballistic Tips, but it's never been shot on paper AFAIK.

Reactions: roverboy

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Fyi Jack, 700 Remington's chambered in 220 swift are short actions, because of the long neck on the cartridge I don't believe it would be a problem shooting long bullets. With 55gr. bullets seated out to the point where they're barely hanging on there's still room in the magazine of my 700.

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
Thanks for that. I've never seen a M700 Swift. They must have taken out the spacer block in the magazine. Did they put in one with an angle to it for the semi-rim?

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
It's been a long time since mine's been out of the stock but I don't believe the magazine box is different. A 1-9" twist Pac-nor barrel would be my choice, 60-65gr. bullets at 3700fps would make for a pretty serious varmint rig.
Probably could "hold on hair" on any walking coyote out to 350yds in eastern Colorado or Wyoming wind and still score a hit. That doesn't sound like a big deal to people who don't live in the west I assure you it is!
I have barrel on order for a 6mm arc, who knows when it will come now, it will supposedly launch a 87gr V-max at 3000fps, out to 350yds it's pretty close to a Swift only in a AR, look out coyotes if I get one of those.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,467 Posts
KB, you'd better be handcuffed to that rifle when we meet up . . . . . .

RJ

Reactions: Kevinbear

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
One of these days I'll post some pictures of it, early on because it has really nice walnut stock I took it off and wrapped it up replacing it with a synthetic one. Recently I picked up another Remington camo dipped stock I was thinking of putting on it. Stock quality varied from year to year with the classics, here's a picture of my 375 H&H. The color is a little off in the pic, it's a slightly darker honey colored walnut, straight grain like it should be in caliber with that much recoil. It's never had a cartridge in the chamber.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,296 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
thats the trouble with being second best you always get compared to the king the 220 swift
Anything that the 22-250 can do the swift had already done and can do better
a bad rap has lead many people away from the swift and in the early days this may have been true however now a days the swift will run ahead of most
the rifling twist will depend on your application I personally am having a barrel made at Hart Rifle Barrels in a 12 twist because I plan on only shooting bullets up to 60-64 gr with it
today with our powders and metallurgy there is not as much to worry about as in days gone by
keep in mind what the swift was intended to do and you will have a rifle with a capability surpassed by few

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,296 Posts
Remember it's length, not weight that needs stabilized. The 55gr Vmax is at best, marginally stable in a 12-twist Swift even at max poke.

Cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
a whole lot has been written about this should work this way this should do that until you see for yourself don't believe them or make decisions based on speculation from others

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,296 Posts
You gotta work on some punctuation, it's difficult to follow.

It isn't speculation, it's fact that length is what needs stabilizing; not weight.
Whether or not that marginal stability will be acceptable in your particular application, is always subject to personal testing.

Cheers

Reactions: fxdwgpig

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Nothing deflates a coyote quite like a 55gr. v-max at 3800fps, even the toughest 40lb'er is instantly down, with the relatively light recoil of the swift you'll see the hit in the scope if you follow through. I shot a coyote last weekend at a customers ranch that was hanging around his calving cows. Because of the proximity to the cattle I chose to use my suppressed 17hmr, I put one right behind his front shoulder at about 125yds, he ran 50yds up the hill but ran out of steam near the top and turned back towards me, he stopped and slowly tipped over. You can't always use the swift so it's nice to have a selection of rifles available.

·
Registered
104 Posts
just take it slow it will come to ya ..............

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
For folks that haven't heard me talk about shooting coyotes with a 17hmr before there was a learning curve for me when I got the rifle, absolutely do not use the plastic tipped 17gr varmint rounds, they blow up on the ribs and shoulders. The 20gr. CCI small game bullet works very well however not many drop in their tracks. I'm down to just a few rounds of them and will be forced to start using some fmj CCI rounds, I'll intentionally aim for the front shoulder to try and make them tumble or create secondary projectiles ala bone. Or I could just put the 22mag barrel on, I have some gamekings for it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You gotta work on some punctuation, it's difficult to follow.

It isn't speculation, it's fact that length is what needs stabilizing; not weight.
Whether or not that marginal stability will be acceptable in your particular application, is always subject to personal testing.

Cheers
You are 100% correct. Math does not lie! If you understand the math, one can decipher for themselves the truth!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Remember it's length, not weight that needs stabilized. The 55gr Vmax is at best, marginally stable in a 12-twist Swift even at max poke.

Cheers
I remember reading either an article or a book that mentioned Fred Barnes and his feelings on twist rate, bullet length and stabilization. I was a teenager at the time, but it always stuck with me. If I remember correctly, He theorized that bullet weight versus bore size was key to penetration (and of course bullet construction). He said that you could create a .22 caliber rifle that could reliably take Deer and even Elk if you had enough weight. I "think" he proposed a 22 "super twist" that could stabilize a 90-100 gr bullet. I really liked reading about him as he seemed ahead of his time back in the 30's-50's.

For folks that haven't heard me talk about shooting coyotes with a 17hmr before there was a learning curve for me when I got the rifle, absolutely do not use the plastic tipped 17gr varmint rounds, they blow up on the ribs and shoulders. The 20gr. CCI small game bullet works very well however not many drop in their tracks. I'm down to just a few rounds of them and will be forced to start using some fmj CCI rounds, I'll intentionally aim for the front shoulder to try and make them tumble or create secondary projectiles ala bone. Or I could just put the 22mag barrel on, I have some gamekings for it.
I keep a 22 Mag in my garage on the off chance I get a hog within 75 yds. or so. They don't like getting shot at and after a couple, I haven't seen any in some time. I always wondered about using my 17 HMR, eye shot. Ammo for both is kind of dear, so I haven't been target shooting except some 22 Mag. I check Academy periodically for either and will buy up all I can next time I run into any. I have less than 150 17 HMR left, but about 70 of the 20 grainers. I'll remember your suggestion on that.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My pants are on fire. I swung by my local Academy and they had almost zero ammo....but they did have about 40 (50 round) boxes of 30 gr. 22 Mag Hornady V-tip.

I almost hate to say what I paid for two boxes...($0.30 per round).

I did NOT buy everything they had. Ouch.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I remember back in 50/60s in Madera, Ca, Jim Clark was building varmint guns in a :228 wildcat. Seemed to me that his basic load was with a 80grain bullet.

Frank

21 - 40 of 41 Posts