Shooters Forum banner

41 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
I remember reading either an article or a book that mentioned Fred Barnes and his feelings on twist rate, bullet length and stabilization. I was a teenager at the time, but it always stuck with me. If I remember correctly, He theorized that bullet weight versus bore size was key to penetration (and of course bullet construction). He said that you could create a .22 caliber rifle that could reliably take Deer and even Elk if you had enough weight. I "think" he proposed a 22 "super twist" that could stabilize a 90-100 gr bullet. I really liked reading about him as he seemed ahead of his time back in the 30's-50's.

I keep a 22 Mag in my garage on the off chance I get a hog within 75 yds. or so. They don't like getting shot at and after a couple, I haven't seen any in some time. I always wondered about using my 17 HMR, eye shot. Ammo for both is kind of dear, so I haven't been target shooting except some 22 Mag. I check Academy periodically for either and will buy up all I can next time I run into any. I have less than 150 17 HMR left, but about 70 of the 20 grainers. I'll remember your suggestion on that.
As far as fast twist .22 centerfires go, there is a .224 Texas Trophy Hunter. You may've already heard of it. It's just a 6mm Rem. case necked down to .224 with a fast 1-7" or 1-8" twist. Pretty fast with thick jacket bullets meant for medium deer sized game.

41 - 41 of 41 Posts