Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know, this probably gets beat to death. I have done some research but I cant find anything recent. I know technology changes, seemingly on a day to day basis. If this is in the wrong forum just move it to where it belongs. This is my first post, so I'm not to familiar with the boards yet.

Anyways, I am considering purchasing this rifle. Savage 11FXP3

At the bottom, where it says Caliber, it says .223/5.56 NATO. Does that mean I can fire either round through it safely? There are several other sites that list this rifle this way too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That would be yes. However if there is any question it might do you well to give Savage arms a call just to make sure. You can safely fire .223 ammo in a firearm chambered for 5.56x45. However I wouldn't fire 5.56x45 ammo in a firearm chambered for .223. It's a pressure issue. If you use the search tab and type in .223vs5.56 it should bring up a number of topics. It's a fairly heated topic.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
In the beginning this problem didn't exist because the military only used lighter bullets. Since then they've gone too heavier weight bullets and longer leade chambers. There's a discussion going on www.savageshootersforum.com in the center fire rifle section. You might glean some information but not all the information posted is correct.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts