Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to cut down on cost, I've lately been acquiring some military brass to be reloaded for my AR-15. I'm having trouble with removing the primer crimp after de-priming the brass. When I prime the brass, my primers either deform in the primer pocket, leaving a useless shell casing. I'm looking for any experiences with reaming or swaging out the primer crimp. Does anybody out there have any easy to use tools that would be able to properly ream out the primer pocket to allow easier priming? I now have a primer pocket cleaners, flash hole tool and the like. None of which have the proper effect on actually removing the primer crimp. Any home-made gizmos or ideas are welcome. Thanks. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,432 Posts
The inexpensive approach is to buy a tool made for the purpose called primer pocket reamer. They are made by most of the usual suspects (Lyman, RCBS, etc.). The only issue is that when you do this by hand or by chucking a reamer into an electric screwdriver or drill is the possibility of getting an oval hole exists.

If you don't yet have a case trimmer (essential with rifle cases) the L.E. Wilson is about the best, IMHO and is under $40 at Bruno Shooter's Supply. There is a primer pocket profile cutter for it that makes the most beautiful and easily primed primer pockets on the planet. The drawback is that it is turned by hand and is a slow process. Really best for the benchrest shooter who only does a few cases at a time.

The swagers are for more volume. The only limitation to swaging is that because it works by pushing brass aside you get a very slightly raised area around the pocket that flattens back out on firing. A portion can flow back where it came from, necessitating a second run through the swager. I've never seen more than two passes required, though a second run even when it isn't required will tend to make seating easier.

RCBS makes a swager that goes on a press, as Al said. I've not used this one and hear you have to be careful to line it up with each case and be careful not to bend the tool, but Al can tell you more. Putting some dry lube on the ram apparently helps. It not be as fast as a dedicated swager, but will be faster than any cutting approach.

The dedicated tool to have is the Dillon Super-swage. If you shoot a serious volume it is the only beast to own for this task. I can do a thousand cases an hour on mine when I get into a rhythm. It has so much leverage that no lube is required. The main drawback is cost.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have two extremes for primer crimp removal.

The 1st is low dollar but can be tiring if you have a ton of brass to do. Its a Hornady reamer and handle. It's sold HERE for $9.

The 2nd is by far the absolute best primer crimp remover made. Rather than cutting out the crimp it swages the primer pocket into shape. As you would expect, it costs a lot but is worth every penny. It's a Dillon Super Swage 600 and while it costs $97, you'll love both the excellent job it does and how easy and fast it does it.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I shoot a bunch of Milsurp 7.62 x 51. and just use my RCBS chamfer tool to cut the crimp out. just a light chamfer and its ready to prime.

Dirt cheap but kinda slow.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,118 Posts
Have used the hand reamers and the little inexpensive Lee primer pocket former. Need a hammer and strong flat surface to pound out the crimped primer pockets with the Lee tool, but it works well.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I have a couple of primer pocket reamers, an RCBS primer pocket swager, and a Dillon Primer pocket sager. The Dillon has a separate rod and pocket tool for 5.56 NATO type of cases.

They all work well for me.

Jerry

·
Registered
556 Posts
RCBS Primer Pocket Swager

I have used this for years on various military cases with crimped in primers. Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the LE Wilson tool also. What I like about the tool is it also is a primer pocket uniformer. One twist and the crimp is removed and the pocket is uniformed, all in the exact center of the primer poclet. No side to side movement so the primer fits the same each time.

·
Banned
47 Posts
I used for years a RCBS until I found a used Dillon at a GS 4-5 years ago for $35 I still use the RCBS when I have a few cases, but the Dillon makes short work of them when you have a can full.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I don't deal with crimped primer pockets very often so my RCBS primer pocket swager tool is sufficient, however, if I needed to remove a lot of crimps from primer pockets I would seriously consider obtaining the Dillon tool.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I run all of my 5.56mm military cases thru my Dillon, it saves me heart burn when I am loading ammo.

Jerry

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I also have the RCBS tool and a Dillon Super Swage. A buddy and I split the cost of the Dillon, and I pretty much let him have it all the time and I just go over to his shop to use it when I have a few hundred cases.

I've also used my Dremel tool with a grinding stone to cut the flanges off brass that has staked in primers (HXP 30-06). Its not as fast as the Swager, but its permanent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts