Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 700 sps tactical in .223 as a fun practice shooter. I zeroed it at 100yards and am getting some decent results with black hills 55gr rounds. roughly 1 in groups, sometimes more, sometimes less... While at the range, I decided to see if I could hit the steel targets at 200 yards, they are about 10 inches across, and I didn't get the feeling I was hitting them. Or if I was, I couldn't tell from all the noise at the range.

My question is, what kind of performance can I expect from 55 gr ammo at 200 yards or beyond. I'd like to be able to hit fairly well at 200-300 yds. Will 70gr work ok for this? What are your thoughts? I know a .223 isn't a great long range caliber, but I'm interested in the challenge and learning that will come from trying to hit targets further with this gun.

Thanks

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,372 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Actually it can perform well at very long range (~1,000 yards or so) but this depends on the twist rate of the barrel, which governs the maximum bullet weight you can use. Do you know the twist rate on your gun?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The SPS Tactical has a 1:9 twist rate according to Remington's web site. A friend of mine has an older Remington .223 with a stainless heavy barrel using a 1:9 twist and I've seen him put five shots into under an inch at 228 yards using 69 grain MatchKing bullets by Sierra. Four of the five were in one ragged hole. 70 grain bullets should work well in your rifle and will do much better than 55 grain bullets if there is any wind at all. Try 22.5 grains of H-322 powder with either 69 or 70 grain bullets.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Your range of bullet weights should go from 45-75gr. You may or may not have problems with the 77-80 gr match loads. Each barrel is different and you'll get more velocity from your longer tube then my 1:9 16".

I generally shoot 500-600 yds with irons sights with my issued 14.5" M4 with 77 gr match during DCM/CMP matches. Then again standard M855 ball 62gr FMJ is doable with a M16A2 also on shiloutes. Just try some different loads and see how they preform. No need to waste money for 69 grs for under 300m shooting as lighter 55 can reach this far.

CD

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Daddyo..........Any factory or handloaded bullet will work for that .223 rifle of yours out to 300 yards with no problems whatsoever. You just must find what that rifle likes the best! Now as far as accuracy goes, my wife's Ruger mini-14 will shoot 2.5 inch groups with factory ammo at the bench and 2 inches or slightly less with our handloads. However, don't forget that the Ruger Mini-14 never was a real accurate rifle compared to the many bolt type action on the market today.

She also has a CZ rifle with a set trigger that will put a 3 shot group inside of a dime from the bench at 100 yards. I also have a .222 CZ rifle that will do the same when my eyes are not causing me problems. If you want to shoot heavier bullets, check the barrel twist of your rifle and see if it can handle those 65 to 75 grain bullets, some can and some will not.

Those that like to shoot longer ranges at targets go with a 60 grain or heavier bullet usually. I know hunters who still use the 55 grain bullet out to 300 yards with no ill effects. The wind is the biggest culprit in shooting longer distances downrange. I have a friend that shoots a Remington in .223 who can blow up oranges downrange at 300 yards with his rifle in .223 and do so on a regular basis.........I would not bet money against him missing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was surprised to see so many responses in 24 hours time!

As was posted, the twist rate is 1:9 on this rifle. Its a 20in heavy contoured barrel. IT was slightly breezy last time on the range. I bought some 69 grain match kings. I'll try again with the 55 grainers.

I'd like to know how you determine whats the best weight based on the twist rate of the barrel.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Daddyo..........Any factory or handloaded bullet will work for that .223 rifle of yours out to 300 yards with no problems whatsoever. You just must find what that rifle likes the best!

I agree. Finding the bullet the rifle likes is more important than picking a slug it doesn't care for and trying to make it work.

·
Banned
128 Posts
I use 55 and 60 grain Hornady V-Max out of my Sako 75 Hunter in .223, and they're deadly accurate. I've downed game easily with them out to at least 265 yards from a standing position without a support. They're probably my favourite rounds in my rifle.

I use AR2219 for my 60 grain loads and AR2208 for my 55 grain loads. I love these powders, especially AR2219. I don't push them anywhere the maximum load, and they do extremely well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.