Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS Tactical, the short fat barreled one, in .223. My goal with this gun is to use it to spend some time at the range improving my long range shooting. I've only had experience shooting at 100 yards so far, and I want to get a foundation and work my way up calibers gradually. I'm not a novice, but not a very experienced shooter either.

I know that the .223 can be challenging beyond 200 yards, and that is partly why I decided to get this caliber over a .308. I want to shoot the **** out of it without punishing my arms, and learn more about long range ballistics.

I read that 63 or 77 grain loads are good with this gun for accuracy, but I'd like to get some more first hand opinions if possible.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I can bust cans of soda with my Savage 10FV 223 at 300 yards using 55 gr bullets ahead of H4198 at 3150 fps. Rifle shoots under .5 inch all day at 100 yards. I have a bunch of 63 and 77 grain bullets on the shelf but have not had time to experiment with them. I think the military uses the 77 gr for way off shooting.

·
Banned
484 Posts
I assume your rifle has a 1/9 twist, and if so, it will handle all bullet weights up to 69 grains. Above that, you will have to try and see, because most of the real heavyweights need a 1/7 twist. Bullets over 60 grains are only necessary at ranges over about 250 to 300 yards. 55 grainers will work fine up to 300 yards or more, especially on calmer days.

If it was my rifle, I'd develop 2 loads; one with a good 55 grain hunting bullet and the other with a 68 or 69 gr. BTHP match bullet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback.

I just ordered black hills ammo in 55 grain and 69 grain match king. I'll play with those and see how it works out. I paired up the gun with a Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 with Ballistic Plex. The latter supposedly a good match for the ballistics of the .223. Looking forward to learning its ways.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
55 grain pills should be all you need to 300 yards, the real heavy bullets are required for 600+ yards.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Yea... there was a guy here breaking 8" ballons at 400 yards with a .22 WMR. I shoot NRA Highpower with guys that shoot 3-4" groups at 600 yards with iron sights on AR 15s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea... there was a guy here breaking 8" ballons at 400 yards with a .22 WMR. I shoot NRA Highpower with guys that shoot 3-4" groups at 600 yards with iron sights on AR 15s.
You mean from a regular old AR 15 or some custom jobs? What's a good brand ammo for accuracy? I don't have the time or resources at the moment to make my own loads, though I would love to learn more about the part that ammo plays in accuracy.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
The National Guard guys shoot Black Hills 69 grain loads, they are shooting military ARs, the top level guys are shooting custom ARs, but you can buy an AR that shoots that well from Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA and host of other gun makers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts