Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking to purchase a .223 or 5.56 bolt action rifle but I have no idea what to buy. My Price range is $1500 and I am plan to be shooting between 300 - 500 yards. I was hoping to find one that has a short bolt throw and short bolt travel distance, so I can keep looking down the scope when cycling the bolt. I also would like the bolt handle to be close enough and in the right position so i can keep my hand on the bolt when pulling the trigger.

I know this will sound weird but I was looking for something similar to lee enfield no 4 bolt position and short movement.

I own a few rifles made by savage and have been happy with the quality but I will purchase from any manufacturer.

secondary question. Is it cheaper to make your own ammunition than buy it for .223 and 5.56?

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Welcome to the shooters forum.

Of the bolt rifles I've had in .223, the Ruger MKll and Browning Abolt were the nicest all around. Think the Savage M12 would beat them for accuracy. Another one I'd look at is the CZ. Seems everyone who has 'em have nice things to say.

Best wishes on finding the perfect rifle.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Short bolt throw means a three lug action made for .223 sized cartridges. Browning maybe?
How your hand operates the bolt is up to you practicing. ;)

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
I like my Howa M1500; they come in .223Rem. A 5.56mmNATO chamber just has a longer throat so that any ammo of that nomenclature will fit into the chamber of a machine gun and not have an overly long one stop the action when the enemy is close and so very dearly needs killing. The longer chamber also helps to drop the chamber pressure of military ammo, which is somewhat higher than commercial ammo.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Best wishes on finding the perfect rifle.
It could always be custom-built by the premium manufacturers such as Defiance, Stiller or BAT. These outfits can build you anything you want. Just be prepared to pay through the nose and wait until hellsinki freezes over for delivery...

http://defiancemachine.com/

·
Banned
169 Posts
After your initial reloader purchase , Heck YA its cheaper to reload ! 223 top line ammo is about a buck a round you can produce the same for about 27 cents a round and even cheaper for blasting type ammo ....

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
. . . you can produce the same for about 27 cents a round ....
And handloaded ammo can be tailored to perform superbly in your particular rifle. Factory ammo is at best a compromise for the millions of guns out there that fit that specific chambering. You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime you just might find, you get what you need...

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'd look at a CZ. My CZ will shoot both the 223 as well as the 5.56, it states it right in the paperwork. As far as reloading it's definitely worth it, especially if you want real accuracy. Sierra 55 grain spitzer's and 27 grains of varget make for an excellent round. For my rifle they're tack drivers.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,570 Posts
Short bolt throw means a three lug action made for .223 sized cartridges. Browning maybe?
How your hand operates the bolt is up to you practicing. ;)
Or a 788 and yes operating the bolt up and back stop to stop in a firm gentle manner. I learned this shooting 788's

RJ

Reactions: 60DRB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the suggestions , it has helped me narrow down what I am looking for. If I am lucky my local gun shop will have a few of you recommendations so i can look at them in person.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts