Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in purchasing a remington R15 varm. 223 in the near future. I was wondering if anybody had any info on this rifle? I live in IL. and plan to use it for coyote hunting. I don't believe I will get much more then a 2-300 yard shot. Is this cal. sufficent I am open for suggestions. Any input would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
354 Posts
This caliber choice is very good the application you suggest. You'll find it's easy to reload and very accurate with a variety of bullets.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yes, the 223 should suit you just fine. Ammo will be very easy to find and if you reload components are in abundance. For the ranges you are going to hunt the caliber should work just fine.

·
Banned
415 Posts
The only other thing I would reccomend (if you're not overly worried about saving hides) would be the .22-250, simply because it has a bit flatter trajectory, and can carry your maximum point blank range out a bit farther. Out to 300 yards, I find my .223 lacking slightly for coyotes...but it's seldom I get out to 300 anyway. For any shooting done at 200 yards, anything coyote I've ever shot has gone down within 100 yards, and most of them are dead within 5 or 10 yards.

The .223 should serve you just fine though, and if you're a bit picky about bullet selection if you do happen to find yourself shooting out to 300 semi-regularly, then the .223 should be better than fine for you.

Edit: Just had to mention that I would choose the .22-250, mostly because I'm a fan of fast and flat shooting, even if it's not always the most practical choice. For instance, I shoot the .270 WSM, when the .270 WCF would do everything I need it to do. The .270 WSM is more expensive to buy and shoot, but I do it anyway, just because I think it's more fun. By the by, I also refuse to buy a gas job. Diesels, again, are more expensive to purchase and run and maintain, and a gas job would do nearly anything I need anyway...but I still like diesels!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts