Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start loading for my 223, it is a Ruger SR 556, 16" barrel and 1-9 twist. I want to shoot hornady 60 grain V-Max bulets and was wondering what would be the best powder to use. If anyone has the same rifle and bullet combo and have some good loads I would really appriciate the info. If not just some good recomindations on the best powder for the V-Max bullet. Thank You for any and all help.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I use BLC-2 because it throws precisely out of the measure without having to trickle the loads, and it's right up there on velocity. It can take a pressure excursion if used in hot weather or in a hot barrel, but no trouble really with my 50 grainers. Shoots right nice out of my Savage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Try 22.5 grains of H-322 and an OAL of 2.200". I use Winchester cases and Winchester standard primers. You may try varying the OAL out to 2.250" but 2.200" works well in my rifles. I use the Hornady 60 grain SP bullet with a flat base.

Other powders that work well in the .223 include Hodgdon's Benchmark and 4198.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since I also shoot 60 grainers out of me Bushy Varminter, I've found I need a little slower powder for decent velocity. For me 25 grains of Varget, AA2520 or 24 grains of Exterminator work well. I prefer 2520 or Exterminator since they meter so well.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Reloder 10x is another good powder to try in the 223 case.

·
The Shadow
7,956 Posts
Win 748 will do you wonderfully. It likes full tilt loads to burn really clean, and doesn't have the pressure "excursions" that get tossed around with ball powder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts