Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently re-loaded some 223. I went off sierra re-load manual for ar I used TAC and exterminator powders. I loaded 3 different loads of each powder 5 rnds each. I then shot this at 100yds out of my handi rifle. The loads were terrible they were at best 11/4 to 2 1/2 The handi rifle is 1-12 twist the ar manual was for 1-9. I was wanting to come up with a good load that would shoot both in the handi rifle and my BM ar 15. Any help will be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Question is what bullet did you use? The 1 in 12 twist really doesn't like anything over 55gr. and definitely doesn't like "hot" loads. I'll throw in the fact that some Handi's need some tweaking to get the full potential. Try going to "go2gbo.com" in the NEF forums and check out the FAQ, there is a ton of info there. Goatwhiskers the Elder

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used hornady 55grn v-max, I did notice the loads i used were a bit warm compared to other loads so I reloaded and dropped loads down abit, think this will help.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
the 12" twist and the 55gr bullets should be fine, have you tried any other make of bullets? i've seen instances where something as simple as a different name brand bullet can cut groups in half or more.
i have no experience with the handi rifles but i've looked 'em over at gun shops and can't fault them any...
i'd try another bullet.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Guess I'd agree with Dan on this. Also agree 55 grains should be okay in your 1/12 barrel.

One other thing Jon, it's not good practice to start with the hotter loads. It can be dangerous and many times you will pass the most accurate loads starting at the top. By the way, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Yep, start with the start loads and work up. Also, check your technique and your components. Consistency there will make consistency at the target. Was your brass uniform in length and weight? Same or mixed headstamps? Was OAL consistent? Powder charges accurate?

Oh, and how about your scope mounts? Don't mean to be bringing up so many factors, but those Hornady bullets have been very accurate for me and before scratching them off your list, I would eliminate other possible problems first. My experience with the .223 has been that it is always my fault for the inaccuracy (technique, preparation, shooting ability, etc.) and not the cartridges.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I have reloaded 40 more rnds and reduced them , case length the same checked powder every 5-10 rnds cases were mixed. Siera manual seems to run a little hotter for ar than for bolt and they dont even list exterminator or tac for bolt, but they do list it for ar, why the difference? Again thanks any advice or help appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I have reloaded 40 more rnds and reduced them , case length the same checked powder every 5-10 rnds cases were mixed. Siera manual seems to run a little hotter for ar than for bolt and they dont even list exterminator or tac for bolt, but they do list it for ar, why the difference? Again thanks any advice or help appreciated.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,224 Posts
Trying ti build a load that will shoot in both a bolt/single shot and an AR is like trying to keep two women happy.

Ain't gonna happen.

I was talking about the wife AND her mother-in-law, what were you thinking.

RJ

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i have a 22 250 and shoot 55 gr bullets hot out of a 1 in 12 barrel the nosler ballistic tips with imr 4064 works the best for me last time i shot 5 shots 1 5/8 in grouo at 275 yards i agree with the other guys about a different bullet i also agree with what rj said above

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Jon,

Checking your powder every 5-10 rnds is part of your problem. If you're trying to work up accurate loads, you hand-weigh every charge. When I'm working up loads, I rarely put more than 10 of any given charge weight together, which means your sample rate is only 10-20%...that's not good enough when you're trying to find the sweet spot.

Once you've got something you're really happy with, you can start bulk-loading and find out whether or not you retain good accuracy while doing so. If I want something that will shoot MOA groups, I have come to understand that you hand-weigh each charge.

The Sierra manual may not list those powders for a bolt-action rifle because they aren't all that accurate ( :rolleyes: ) but they list them them for the AR because they will generate the gas pressure that is ideal for cycling the semi-auto action. I mean, you're using a Hornady bullet, with powders listed by Sierra for the AR, out of a single-shot rifle.

Maybe see what Hornady lists for their bullet? Both of those are good powders for the .223, so I'm surprised by your results. Have you determined the maximum cartridge OAL for your chamber? Some of the Handi-rifle barrels have long throats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks will take all this into consideration when i load 300wm have no problems and good groups but i do trickle each load and yea should use manual and powder to match that rifle im shooting, thanks to all for your help, Jon

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
In addition to all the good advice you've already gotten, mixing cases isn't going to help, either. Different brands of cases can have different capacities.
Segregate your cases by brand for more consistency.
You'll find that rifles, like people, have preferences. Your rifle may not like that bullet, or a certain powder- you have to experiment to find out what your rifle prefers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts