Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to load some of the 52 gr Matchkings up for my new DPMS Sweet 16 AR-15 and am looking for a what sierra's load manual has to say or some suggestions on where to start. I will be using winchester brass and the AR has a 16" bull Barrel with a 1 in 9 twist. I dont plan on using these no further than 300 yards. Maybe powder suggestions or what powder works best for use with this bullet in an AR and starting and max load? Thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have had great luck with all of my 223's (2 ARs, Savage 11, & 24) using 52 gr. Matchkings with 25 gr. of H335. All will shoot under 1 moa with this load. All but one of the ARs are 1-9 twist the one AR is 1-7 which still shoots this load fine. I have also found that the Hornady 52 gr. AMAX shoots as good or better.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
H335 is generally a good powder for .223's in AR's, however my Colts with 1/7's don't shoot it well. According to the Sierra manual 25 grains of H335 is worth 2900FPS and max load is 26.7 @ 3150.

According to Sierra's book, the accuracy load was 23.5 grains Viht N133 in a Colt H-Bar with a 20" 1/7, Federal cases and Rem 7 1/2 primer

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
Also, if you are limited to 300 yards, you might want to consider the 53 grain Sierra MatchKing. They are flat base, so the ballistic coefficient is lower, but it is typically easier to make a flat base bullet shoot accurately—sometimes a lot more accurately—at shorter ranges. 300 yards is about the dividing line, IME, beyond which boattails usually do better.

In my rifle (7.5" twist, 20" AR) with Winchester cases and Federal 205M or Winchester SR primers, 21.3 grains of IMR 4198 has been a good accuracy load with the 53 grain SMK seated to 2.230" average COL (a number that's easy to remember). I'll add in the general warning to be sure your primers are seated below flush for use in a floating firing pin self-loader, owing to the risk of slamfires. I may work up a load with #41 Primers on the general principle that the harder primer has better slamfire immunity, but the AR doesn't seem very prone to slamfires and, properly seated, more sensitive primers have caused me no grief to date.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.