Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use your .223 for and what twist rate do you have or do you prefer?
What grain bullet are you using and what twist rate is working the best for your application?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,516 Posts
I have three .223's. Two 788 Rems and one Rem700SPS. All three have 1:12 twists. I use 40 grain Vmax's in them all with Benchmark powder. I've got some 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips that also very shoot well out of these rifles, but I don't use them much as the Vmax is much more "effective" :D

RJ

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I have three 223's and all have a 1 in 9 twist. I shoot 55 gr bullets most of the time as I use them as varmint guns only and all three shoot under .5 inch.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i have one, rem 700SPS-V with a 1-12 twist. 36 or 40GR vmax from black hills ammiunition for target. shoots very well, some days i can get .25MOA, most days its a .5-.75MOA rifle.

·
Banned
199 Posts
1 in 12 is good for lighter varmint pills. 1 in 10 is generally accepted as the right twist for spitzer bullets weighing over 60gns, and 1 in 8 may be necessary for some long range match projectiles. I would suggest a 1:10 twist to be a good compromise, allowing you to shoot heavier bullets if needed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have several .223 AI's and .223's. Twists range from 1 in 12, 1 in 9, to 1 in 7. For light weight bullets up to 55 grains, the 1 in 12 is fine. For up to about 70 grains bullets the 1 in 9 works but a 1 in 8 would be as good and allow up to 75 or maybe 80 grain bullets. You need 1 in 7 or 1 in 6.5 to stabilize 90 grain bullets. I have had no problems shooting 40 to 70 grain bullets equally as accurately with the 1 in 9. If I was only getting one rifle, it would be a 1 in 8 twist for most versatility to stabilize 75 grain bullets and no loss of accuracy with lighter bullets. Benchmarck for lighter weight bullets and Varget for heavier bullets work fine for me.

·
Banned
425 Posts
I think mine are 1 in 9? One is different I'll read them and get back to ya! Like above depends on use and grains. Maybe there is a 1 in 10 and a 1 in 12 in the mix?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I believe that 1 in 9 is the most popular twist rate currently. Seems that most ARs and even some bolt guns are being set up with a 1:9. I prefer a 1:8 because it's more certain to stabilize bullets up to 80 gr., although I've had decent luck with a 1:9 and 80s. 1:12 is real old-school and only suitible for bullets under 55gr or the blunt-tip Speer 70s.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have two. One is a 1:9 and the other is a 1:7. The 9 twist is a standard Bushmaster upper and the 7 twist is a White Oak Armament heavy barrel designed to shoot the heavier bullets.

·
Banned
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
made the 350 mark!

I'm looking at a new .223 bolt gun and thought I would see what is the most versitle and seems 1 in 9 and 1 in 8 is what I am finding the most! My AR is 1 in 9 and the other is 1 in 8
Well they are Bushmasters any how. I think the bullbarrel DPMS is different! So when I go with a lighter bullet I'll need to move up to a 1 in 12. I have always just shot whatever, but now I want to get dialed in and get nutty like all Y'all!:D:D:D:eek: Gots to fit in!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have a 1-8 RRA Varmiter, it shoots a wide range, but esp. the 60V-Max, 69 & 77MK & 75 OTM. With these it will shoot sub-1/2moa 5 shot groups, a real shooter for it's type.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I just sold my last .223 AR, I have a Mini 14 that is 1-9 though it shoots the 55 grain bullets well.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Matt, why did you sell your AR? Curious are you a dealer and just sold it or are have lost interest in AR's all together. I was thinking about getting one. Father has a Rock River and it's a tack driver.
Some days I think I can't live another week w/o one and others I could care less. Can't really make up my mind.

Jim

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I'm not a dealer... I sold it because my .204 is more accurate and fun to shoot and my Mini 14 and M1 Garands serve any defense purposes. My bolt guns are lighter and easier to carry. I am building a 6.8 SPC AR though, so I'm not totally out of them but the .223 versions just don't interest me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts